Should Army Pfc. Bradley Manning Be Executed If Found Guilty Of Treason?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I challenged a bogus assertion and surely every collaborator who gets their head chopped off from here on out will be blamed on this incident, that is just flawed sorry.

You're assuming that the risk of being killed is the same whether you're a secret collaborator or a publicly known collaborator. Do you know how asinine that is? Do you really think there's no reason to even bother being secretive about your collaboration?

I guess you also believe Jews in Nazi Germany were being executed anyway, so those who ratted them out to the SS weren't evil monsters complicit in genocide?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Should Army Pfc. Bradley Manning be executed if found guilty of treason?

Simple question.
Is execution the appropriate punishment for treason in a time a war.

Treason in a time of war? Yes. Now show me a declaration of war. And a conviction of treason.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

Simple question.

He should be at the top of the Democratic ticket in 2012 and Bill Ayers could be his Biden.

Think about it, if Obama can become president with all of the skeletons in closet and without anyone knowing anything about him and his lack of experience it could happen.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Yes

He has earned execution as countless NATO and Afghan lives will be lost due to the information he intentionally gave to the hostiles.

(I am sure someone is about to quote me and cry Bush and/or Obama is the biggest murderer of all for starting / continuing the Afghan War, which they may have a point)

http://www.dailytech.com/Taliban+Mu...ikileaks+for+Revealing+Spies/article19250.htm

This is only the beginning as the documents are further digested.

For the record, I am mostly against the death penalty being used in civilian cases.

He and the Wikileaks guys should be in prison for the rest of their lives. They directly caused the deaths of people who took a great risk to help us save their country.

What reason could they possibly have to leak the villages and individuals collaborating with us? It defies all common sense and decency.

If those people executed were identified in the leaked documents, yes, he should be blamed.

It was incredibly irresponsible not to have redacted out those peoples' names and villages prior to publication.

Fern

I find it difficult to argue with the logic quoted above. Perhaps we should make this private point man on the front line and save ourselves the trouble of a trial.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Something I'm wondering, which is more treasonous:

#1. Release accurate information that could potentially get someone killed (what Pfc Manning is accused of)

#2. Release false information that will certainly get someone killed (What Colin Powell did at the UN).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

#1. Release accurate information that could potentially get someone killed (what Pfc Manning is accused of)

#2. Release false information that will certainly get someone killed (What Colin Powell did at the UN).
This is actually a pretty good question even if it does flirt with taking the thread off axis.

In fact, argue treason all you want but I sure as fvck do not want to see anybody within shouting distance of the Bush administration saying a thing about this guy.

If found of substantial treason I can see putting him in prison for a long time.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
If this guy did this, he should go to prison for a very long time. This is an act of treason. When you take that oath, you make a commitment

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

This guy stole and made public military documents. He should no allegiance to this country and he definately did not obey orders. He committed an act of treason, plain and simple. He doesn't deserve death, but prison for the next 20-30 years would be proper justice. He didn't read all those documents. He had no clue if he was putting in jeopardy other soldiers or the very security of this nation.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Shit runs down hill. Half the bankers should be in prison, they are not. Likewise, Bush who ordered torture/lying etc is not. Basically we have two classes of people in this country.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Simple question.

How can he be found guilty of treason if he's not even charged with it?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Are you referring to Plame?
The same Plame that wasn't a covert agent according to the Intelligence Identities Protection Act? The same Plame that drove a Sabb to Langley for 10 years and then people like you claim her employment with the CIA was a highly guarded secret?

That agent?

She was a WOC (without official cover) , the most vulnerable of agents. You'd think twice if your relatives were involed in the business of keeping you safe so you can spew your daily talking points.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
It doesn't seem like he intended to betray the US. I would imagine his goal was to strengthen the American democracy. Now whether he breached his duty as a soldier is another question.

OP, was Claus von Stauffenberg a traitor? Did he deserve to be executed?
Wow, that was a pretty quick invocation of Godwin's Law.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
He should get a medal and a promotion. All those cockroaches in DC are running now the lights are starting to be turned on.

I must have missed the declaration of war by Congress.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I find it difficult to argue with the logic quoted above. Perhaps we should make this private point man on the front line and save ourselves the trouble of a trial.
Exactly those quotes point it out well.

And still, you don't have to agree that he should be executed, but to say "doesn't matter since people are dying anyway", or "he is a hero" is fucking retarded and I thought maybe sarcastic at first till I seen more of the same shit from the posters.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
This is much worse than treason in my eyes. Godwin's law be damned, releasing the names of those collaborators is exactly the same as telling the Nazis where the Jews are hiding. WikiLeaks is complicit in terrorism.