Short depth (12~13") rack mount server case for nas

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
It's been a while (mainly because the HP MicroServer N54L has been working wonderfully), but it's about time that I refreshed my NAS. I've got a very small rack mount setup that's close to the basement wall, and I'd like for my next NAS to be rackmounted. The issue is that I only have about 12-13" of clearance between the front of the rack mount rails and the basement wall (which is actually the house foundation).. So to those who are in the know, what rack mountable case/chassis can 1) fit into a 12~13" deep rack and 2) accommodate 6+ 3.5" HDDs? Bonus points for hot swappable.

To clarify: the HP Microserver Gen8 or 9 or whatever is a non-starter due to the form factor change. They dropped the regular size 5.25" bay and only have room for a slimline drive. With the 5.25" bay, in the N54L, I am able to put 6x3.5" HDDs in the microserver for a reasonable RAIDZ2.

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
13" deep is too small to be considered a "server" case. And you have to allow rooms for cables, so you're really looking for more like 11" by the sound of it. That limits you to cases designed for firewalls and such at that point which typically don't need a lot of drives, such as: http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1u/505/SC505-203B. That short of case is also typically limited to the 1U form factor which means small, loud fans.

General recommendation for rackmount case: Go Supermicro or go home. If that's too expansive, just get a standard desktop case and lay it on it's side.

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah - if you're trying to cram something like that into a rack* that shallow, you're best (IMHO) (only?) option is to get a compact NAS case and either a rack shelf or hack/fab some brackets to mount the case yourself.

*and since when is 13" a standard rack size? I thought they didn't go any shallower than the 15" racks for A/V equipment? Are you using one of those mini or half-deep racks that's supposed to be for networking gear?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'm assuming he's talking about a 2 post "rack" and it's sitting 13" away from the wall.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Yeah it's a couple of rack rails (8 or 12u I think) screwed into 2x4s that are screwed and braced to floor joists. The depth was to avoid blocking a power outlet. I did buy a rack shelf, but it seemed flimsy. I'll have to look into this mid mount thing though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2011