Shopping for insurance: renters & auto simultaneously

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
So I'm looking to get both renters and auto insurance quotes. I definitely want a renters insurance policy, and possibly auto insurance.

Right now I'm under my parent's auto policy, but I'm a 25 year old married male/full time medical student. Since I know I'm definitely getting renters insurance, I'm wondering if the discounts of bundling make it worthwhile to consider moving off my parent's policy. I just don't want to give them a headache if god forbid anything happened.

So, are there any websites that can give me multiple quotes for combined renters and auto insurance, or am I going to have to do this all manually?

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Thats an odd bundle. It all depends on who does the rental insurance, and whether or not they write auto as well.

Allstate does my renters, and I had to do it all manually. There is no website to give you quotes on renters insurance.

Also recall that flood insurance and/or weather hazards like tornado, earthquake, etc, are separate from your typical liability policy.

Its a long road this insurance one you are traveling.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I was able to get a multi policy discount with renters and car insurance together. Why is that an odd bundle?

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Not many companies do both. I live in FL, we have like 4 homeowners/renters insurance companies left. 3 of them don't do auto.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Ugh that's frustrating. I was hoping someone came up with the idea of aggregating quote data from all the insurance co's out there. It seems like a hell of a good idea to me.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You;ll probably have to call an agent to get a quote for a multi-line discount. State Farm offers one with renter's insurance/auto or at least they used to.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Not many companies do both. I live in FL, we have like 4 homeowners/renters insurance companies left. 3 of them don't do auto.
While companies may be bailing out of the Homeowners market in Fla; the renters market is a different beast.

Most any company that will write an auto policy should also have renters insurance policies .
The bundling may drop the renter's insurance policy cost in half or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have both of them through Travelers and after the discounts compared to my old auto policy, the renters was basically free.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
im not sure if you'll get a discount for having renter's and auto, but i know statefarm does both.

rstove02

Apr 19, 2004
Can always try Amica Mutual Insurance. Have them for my car and they have been great. Good price and they handled my recent accident when a gal totaled my car. They cover all types of insurance (auto, life, rent, home) and have been voted #1 by JD Power for last 10 years.

LinuxIdiot

Golden Member
May 20, 2002
Nationwide does both, that is who I go through. I have $20K in renter's insurance and full coverage with a $500 deductible on my car. The renter's insurance was only $10 a month and it gives a slight discount.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
That's a normal bundle, I got my condo insurance + auto insurance from state farm no problem....having them together, pretty much mad my condo insurance free.

stinkynathan

Oct 12, 2004
I use USAA.

Indeed. We're saving a metric buttload of money by using USAA instead of the American Family, Progressive combo we had before.

Elizabeta said:
I'm not sure what USAA is. But for anyone else looking for home owners or renters insurance, you can check out this resource to learn a bit more about what type of coverage you are looking for: http://home-insurance-quote.allstate.com/
Allstate Insurance Company quotes page lets you click on which type you're looking for, so you can find the insurance that best fits your needs.

-Elizabeth Wells
Homeowner & and Advocate for Allstate

Insurance and banking for people serving in the military/DoD and their dependents.

Elizabeta

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
That seems like a great program, but it may not be the best option since it is only available to those serving in the military etc...

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
We all know that switching to most insurance companies will save you $400. So if you get an original quote of $1600/yr, sign up but then switch to a different insurance company to save $400, and repeat that 3 more times. Soon your annual premium will be free.

I'm surprised no one has figured this out yet.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The last time we had renter's insurance, we were with Farmer's Insurance.
Wasn't expensive and when our garage got burgled, we got great service.

Just contact your local independent insurance agent. They can generally get you great deals on good quality insurance products...and usually MUCH cheaper than the "big guys."

stinkynathan

Oct 12, 2004
That seems like a great program, but it may not be the best option since it is only available to those serving in the military etc... Telling people which type of insurance they should buy seems like it just creates confusion and dissapointment. Depending on the city/state, and the individual rates can excessively vary. I think many insurance companies have their pro's and con's depending on what the individual needs are. Getting quotes from a variety of sources would be anyone's best bet so they don't end up over paying. Comparing quotes should be the first step in the process. You can get a quick quote and compare at http://quote.allstate.com/ or http://home-insurance-quote.allstate.com/

-Elizabeth Wells
Safe Driver, Homeowner & An Advocate for Allstate

So, you've made two posts. Both were in this thread and both were plugging All-State quote services.

I'm guessing that "Advocate" = shill.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Nationwide does both, that is who I go through. I have $20K in renter's insurance and full coverage with a $500 deductible on my car. The renter's insurance was only $10 a month and it gives a slight discount.

This is what I had that Nationwide was severly overcharging me for. Another thing that will be of interest to the OP is that they consider you a "youthful driver" until age 30 whereas most drop the rates at 25.

call GEICO

1-800-861-8380 auto
1-800-841-2964 renters

Seriously. I switched to Geico and saved 50% (was paying $200 for two cars plus renters so I'm saving about $1k/year).

That seems like a great program, but it may not be the best option since it is only available to those serving in the military etc... Telling people which type of insurance they should buy seems like it just creates confusion and dissapointment. Depending on the city/state, and the individual rates can excessively vary. I think many insurance companies have their pro's and con's depending on what the individual needs are. Getting quotes from a variety of sources would be anyone's best bet so they don't end up over paying. Comparing quotes should be the first step in the process. You can get a quick quote and compare at http://quote.allstate.com/ or http://home-insurance-quote.allstate.com/

-Elizabeth Wells
Safe Driver, Homeowner & An Advocate for Allstate

Get the hell out of here, even if you aren't an allstate employee you come in here and the first two posts ever are promoting allstate? You are actually making allstate look REALLY bad considering most of us will never buy from companies who try to plant people like you.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Thats an odd bundle.

o_O It's a pretty typical bundle. When I rented, the savings with Allstate pretty much made the renter's insurance free. What I think is odd is the OP said "definitely" renter's and "possibly" auto. I thought auto policies automatically dropped you from your parent's policy after turning 24 or 25. Are there even any states that don't require auto insurance by law?

Last edited: