Shoplifter killed by Walmart employees.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Expect a huge settlement to be paid out.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/alleged-shoplifter-dies-after-being-subdued-by-wal/nTFPx/

"DeKalb police say that the unidentified man took two DVD players from the Walmart at 5401 Fairington Road around 1:30 a.m. The man, who appeared to be middle aged, exited through the front door, but was caught by the trio in the parking lot where a “physical altercation” took place, according to the police report.

When police arrived, they found the trio on top of the man. An officer who handcuffed the suspected shoplifter detected no resistance from him and ordered the employees off. Police found the man to be unresponsive and bleeding from his nose and mouth. Emergency units responded and transported him to DMC-Hillandale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."

Last edited:

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ok being a ass at least he won't steal again!!! That said its a hard price to pay for stealing. Last guy that tore up my Benz trying to steal it though I wish I had caught him and castrated him!

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I have no idea what “physical altercation” entails, but here comes the incoming wave of lefties to defend criminals by all means necessary.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I can see this happening. I had numerous retail jobs when I was younger where it was expected for you to run out and surround a shoplifter if security called the code for shoplifter. I thought it was fun most of the time but there were some really sketchy moments. Specifically people who steal basic necessities like diapers.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I can see this happening. I had numerous retail jobs when I was younger where it was expected for you to run out and surround a shoplifter if security called the code for shoplifter. I thought it was fun most of the time but there were some really sketchy moments. Specifically people who steal basic necessities like diapers.

Stealing is stealing! If you get caught expect the worst. Like I said I am expected to protect my property and will. I work hard for me and mine and won't fall on the sword giveing it up.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

Especially when basic necessities are things like "two DVD players".

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Stealing is stealing! If you get caught expect the worst. Like I said I am expected to protect my property and will. I work hard for me and mine and won't fall on the sword giveing it up.

Once force is unnecessary you may no longer use force. Plus, stores CANNOT use deadly force to detain someone suspected of shoplifting. The three employees detained the guy, negligently killed him, and did not call an ambulance for medical assistance.

Since they were acting as agents of Wal Mart, even though they were probably not following company policy, Walmart will likely be settling this for 7 figures.

Last edited:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Once force is unnecessary you may no longer use force. They had detained the guy, negligently killed him, and did not call an ambulance for medical assistance.

Walmart will be settling this for 7 figures.
Absolutely. Dude wasn't even resisting any longer.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Stores cannot use deadly force to detain someone suspected of shoplifting. The three employees detained the guy, negligently killed him, and did not call an ambulance for medical assistance.

Walmart will likely be settling this for 7 figures.

Not arguing the point at all. Reasonable force was required. Not knowing the whole story but perhaps it was excessive. Sadly they guy died and I had hoped it could have been avoided. But I have had a lot stolen from me over the years and I wish I had a pound of flesh for all that was stolen. In my opinion. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Buxaroo

Oct 2, 2012
This is sad all of the way around. One, he was stealing dvd players....who uses dvd players today? Two, it was at a Walmart where they excel in not paying a decent wage for their workers, Three, 3 of these $8 an hour employees risked life and limb, not to mention killing someone who was probably out of shape from getting away with these "priceless" dvd players. They got a video of him, call the cops and let them do the job they are meant to do. Attach pictures of the guy and post it on on their work board with the text saying "call police if this person enters the store or is seen on the property" would have been far more sufficient. No way am I gonna risk my life trying to tackle some dude over something as trivial as dvd players, especially not at a Wal Mart where I would be making $8 an hour, your out of your mind. Slave mentality to think that is a reasonable response to something like that.

Also, "stealing is stealing!" isn't a intelligent response. In no way is shoplifting 2 shitty dvd players in any way remotely similar to murder or dealing drugs or paying someone 30 cents an hour to make said dvd players. It's false equivalency for those who lack critical thinking skills. There are degrees to everything. Only an idiot thinks that everything is black and white and that there are only 2 sides to a story. It's for the lazy minded who don't want to think outside their putrid sphere of personal incredulity.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Expect a huge settlement to be paid out.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/alleged-shoplifter-dies-after-being-subdued-by-wal/nTFPx/

"DeKalb police say that the unidentified man took two DVD players from the Walmart at 5401 Fairington Road around 1:30 a.m. The man, who appeared to be middle aged, exited through the front door, but was caught by the trio in the parking lot where a “physical altercation” took place, according to the police report.

When police arrived, they found the trio on top of the man. An officer who handcuffed the suspected shoplifter detected no resistance from him and ordered the employees off. Police found the man to be unresponsive and bleeding from his nose and mouth. Emergency units responded and transported him to DMC-Hillandale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead."
Where does it say in the article that this person was killed by Walmart employees???
It does not --- here is what it says --
The Black Friday shopping weekend apparently took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when an alleged shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart. -- where does it say the persaon was killed by Walmart employees???

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Where does it say in the article that this person was killed by Walmart employees???
The Black Friday shopping weekend apparently took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when an alleged shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart. -- where does it say the persaon was killed by Walmart employees???
He didn't die of old age.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Pull head out of ass... You'll see not everything is the way you paint it to be.

Funny. There is no solid details on how the confrontation occurred, I didn't assumed anything about that and now I'm supposed to pull my head out of my ass.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Unless there are witnesses or a recording, it is hard to convict 3 against none.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
He didn't die of old age.

So what you are doing is jumping to a conclusion that is not stated in the article.....
There are many ways a person can die......where in the article does it say these employees killed the customer....you can`t....so you act like a immature Jr high schooler and claim with no proof...no proof.....no proof that they killed the customer....

What was reported in the article is NOT proof that they killed the customer.
In fact those employees will not be charged with murder without proof....proof please...............

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The Black Friday shopping weekend apparently took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when an alleged shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart.

Two associates who helped catch and subdue the suspect before police arrived have been placed on leave;

the security officer who police say may have placed the suspected thief in a choke hold, is no longer working for Walmart.
=====================================

They've already thrown the rent a cop under the bus.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The Black Friday shopping weekend apparently took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when an alleged shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart.

Two associates who helped catch and subdue the suspect before police arrived have been placed on leave;

the security officer who police say may have placed the suspected thief in a choke hold, is no longer working for Walmart.
May have....no proof...but the Security officer is not a direct store employee.....she where does it say the store employees killed the customer...

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000

It's either read the article first and scratch your head, or read the comments/interpretations first and jerk your knee. :) At least we can confirm the shoplifter definitely to be dead.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Two DVD players in disposable income savings for a wal-mart employee is like 2 months of saving, no wonder they went buck wild on him.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
It does not --- here is what it says -- The Black Friday shopping weekend apparently took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when an alleged shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart. -- where does it say the persaon was killed by Walmart employees???

Does say this;

Two associates who helped catch and subdue the suspect before police arrived have been placed on leave; the security officer who police say may have placed the suspected thief in a choke hold, is no longer working for Walmart.

“No amount of merchandise is worth someone’s life,” Walmart spokesperson Dianna Gee said

I think even if he died of a heart attacked while being subdued they could be held liable for not rendering aid and complicit in the death.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
So what you are doing is jumping to a conclusion that is not stated in the article.....
There are many ways a person can die......where in the article does it say these employees killed the customer....you can`t....so you act like a immature Jr high schooler and claim with no proof...no proof.....no proof that they killed the customer....

What was reported in the article is NOT proof that they killed the customer.
In fact those employees will not be charged with murder without proof....proof please...............

I like my bacon thick, not posters here. The guy was alive and doing fine - carrying 2 DVD players. 3 employees got into an altercation with him. One likely put him in a choke hold. The three employees were on top of the guy until police arrived.

Only you would read a story about someone being shot, and dying, then say, "well, until we see the autopsy report, we can't be certain he died of the gunshot. Maybe he had a coronary embolism coincidentally 1/2 second before he was shot and the gunshot wound was non-fatal."