Shocking poor benchmark results 980GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanJ76

Jan 5, 2014
Benchmarks are out, the 970/980 are a serious let down, barely able to surpass the previous years 780ti in performance?? Sounds like Nvidia tried to pull a fast one by re-using the same process(hence the really low prices). I ran side by side benchmarks with EXACT same settings(highest quality with physx off)these new cards are really far off from my 770 SC ACX Sli, and they shouldn't be. The 980GTX SHOULD OF easily kept up with 770 SC Sli....

980GTX Metro LL bench-
metro_lastlight_1920_1080980GTX_zps77b4c75a.gif

770 SC ACX Sli results- Highest settings with Physx off-
MetroLLbenchmarkTessoffAdvancedPhysxoff_zpsfd6c60b7.png

980GTX Tomb raider bench-
tombraider_1920_1080980GTX_zps8833e404.gif

770 SC Sli with highest settings including TRessFX-
TombRaiderBenchmark21080_zpsc63c3656.jpg

980GTX is pretty damn far off from 770 SC Sli, and it shouldn't be considering the 770 SC is a 3year old design..........skipping this series, maybe next year Nvidia will produce a card= 2x 770 SC.....

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Looks pretty darn good to almost everyone else on the planet. Soooo..

I also believe it was shown in your other thread that was locked, that you were conducting unfair comparisons as well? As in settings were turned down for the 770SC SLI? 95fps minimum? yeah, not happening at all.

Last edited:

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
@Sean, what do you expect? You are using two GK104 cards in SLI. It's obvious it's gonna be faster.

Looks pretty darn good to almost everyone else on the planet. Soooo..

No it doesn't.

The only good thing with the new GTX are the HDMI 2.0 , the multi-displayports and the power consumption. (Marketing, marketing and marketing)

Outside of that, nothing special, unless you want a 10% higher performance.

MFAA is a cheat.

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well i don't even....Uhhhh.....No....Just stop it already! :rolleyes:

Some things in this world are just stupid, and it's not always what someone thinks it is that is actually being stupid.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
@Sean, what do you expect? You are using two GK104 cards in SLI. It's obvious it's gonna be faster.

No it doesn't.

The only good thing with the new GTX are the HDMI 2.0 , the multi-displayports and the power consumption. (Marketing, marketing and marketing)

Outside of that, nothing special, unless you want a 10% higher performance.

MFAA is a cheat.

Come come now. That is unreasonable. 780Ti performance for 330.00 using much less power and tons of new features. Not impressive to you? Completely unreasonable.

Anyway karlitos, I'll not let the OP drag us into a fight. I'll advise to report the thread as another just like this from this OP was locked for disruptive behavior.

/peace.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Op had a thread like this one locked yesterday, it got pretty much out of hand.Mods should just lock this one too.Save them a ton of hassle and potential trolling.

This is the one that got locked

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2400666
Yeah, that one was good for a laugh.
But now another one with the same benchmarks is just plain "odd" to say the least.
There is definitely something a little "off" here and it isn't the GTX 980/970 or the benchmarks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Op also may have sli gtx770 but chances are pretty much that he has the 2gb versions...as much as i thought going sli with my 770 theres absolutely no reason now its even worthwhile.I would be better off selling my 770,taking the hit and grabbing the 970 or 980.

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Come come now. That is unreasonable. 780Ti performance for 330.00 using much less power and tons of new features. Not impressive to you? Completely unreasonable.

Anyway karlitos, I'll not let the OP drag us into a fight. I'll advise to report the thread as another just like this from this OP was locked for disruptive behavior.

/peace.

Yes Keysplayr. There is always a better GPU a year after the past generation.
Don't forget the GTX 780ti is almost a year old and the GTX 980 is new.

The story repeats itself every year.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

/peace.

Some of us were hoping to get an increase in overall performance, instead of just a decrease of price and power. While it is nice to have reduced power and and price, but not what I personally was hoping for. 970 is about the performance as a 290x, and the 980 is about the same as a 780Ti.

May 13, 2009
Same old crap lately from both camps. New card slightly better performance and tons of marketing to pass it off to the fools with money burning a hole in their pockets. Turn down your aa one notch or whatever and keep the friggin card you have. Whenever nvidia or amd decides to come out with something that really sets a new standard then you reward them with your hard earned cash. If all it takes is a new model number and a small performance increase to get you to part with $550 then you'll have much bigger problems than which video card to buy later in life.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The 970 really is the only impressive part of the two, between the tdp and its performance and its price its really just hard to complain about it. I may very well cave in and sell my 770 and grab a 970 as well.The 980 seems like a whole lot of meh for the price.

The 980 isn't terrible but the 970 is the star of the show here for sure.

SeanJ76

Jan 5, 2014
Same old crap lately from both camps. New card slightly better performance and tons of marketing to pass it off to the fools with money burning a hole in their pockets. Turn down your aa one notch or whatever and keep the friggin card you have. Whenever nvidia or amd decides to come out with something that really sets a new standard then you reward them with your hard earned cash. If all it takes is a new model number and a small performance increase to get you to part with $550 then you'll have much bigger problems than which video card to buy later in life.

Smart man^
I'm not dumb enough to fall for "but its half the power consumption of a 780ti" ....so what? If it doesn't surpass the performance of a 780ti(or my 770 SC ACX Sli) then its garbage! 980GTX doesn't even beat 3 yr old GK-104 Sli that is pathetic!

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Smart man^
I'm not dumb enough to fall for "but its half the power consumption of a 780ti" ....so what? If it doesn't surpass the performance of a 780ti(or my 770 SC ACX Sli) then its garbage! 980GTX doesn't even beat 3 yr old GK-104 Sli that is pathetic!

Lets keep that in mind when the GM200 comes out. It will perhaps beat a GTX 780 Ti by 50% but is still beaten by GTX 780 TI SLI.

How pathetic :rolleyes:

GTX 980 beat GTX 680 by 65-70%, have 25W less TDP. Yes, absolutely pathetic.

I`m not sure if you are trolling or just very uninformed, but GTX 680 didnt beat GTX 580 by more than 20% top when it came out either. It sure as hell wasnt beating GTX 570 SLI. How pathetic :rolleyes:

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

I see you point bur for many people like me that have an old card this one looks nice. Much better than the 780 ti simply due to price. In fact NV was a no go where I live before this launch because 290x was just a way, way better deal in terms of price/performance. That is not the case anymore.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I think the 8000 series from nvidia was the last time a single high end card beat a previous generation sli configuration.That was the 8800gtx.

Feb 15, 2014
YAY you are beating a 170W GTX 980 with 480W GTX 770 SLI

Great job

While it might have the blistering performance that everyone expected, it has very good power efficiency.

Let's just forget about the new features for a second.

The stock GTX 980 runs at ~1.1-1.2Ghz. As reviews indicated, 1.5Ghz is possible, so there is a very high probability that in the coming months, with better binned chips you will see GTX 980's with a factory overclock happily boosting to 1.4Ghz, without any user overclocking (raising power limits etc.).

The performance increase might be enough that a 7970 -> 7970 Ghz situation, where better binning helped performance.

Also, with custom cooled cards, GPU-Boost will have more thermal overhead, as the stock cards currently hit 80C and throttle.

For GTX 780Ti / GTX 9users, it is not worth the upgrade. GTX780 / TIAN.. might be.. but better to wait. However, if you have a GTX 770 or 280X, the upgrade seems viable. Even upgrading to the 970 will show a performance increase, while consuming less power.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Is this a symptom of buyer's remorse? It happens to all of us who buy computer stuff, and it's inevitable that newer hardware will cost less and outperform the prior generation, usually for less money.

I'm thinking it's just human nature to try to justify an earlier expensive purchase that has been devalued.

But sometimes you can go over the edge and just flat out attack the newer/better/lower-priced stuff that comes out.

I think this really stands out here because this is an Nvidia person attacking an Nvidia product - it doesn't make sense unless it's buyer's remorse combined with trying to justify prior purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.