Shocker - Iraqi farmer in fact did NOT shoot down the Apache helo

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A Kuwaiti newspaper apparently decided that they really needed to find out the truth, and lo and behold the farmer did not shoot down the Apache singlehandedly with his Brno. BBC News story.

Amusing quote:
"The paper said that Minqash lives in a simple brick house encircled by palm trees and surrounded by livestock on all sides. He also has a large family and circle of acquaintances "who protect him with their geniality and spontaneity".

The geniality obviously extends to jokes about his 'feat'.

One runs that the US decided to withdraw its fleet from the Gulf once it learned that Minqash planned to go fishing there."

I am just appalled that the Iraqi TV would lie about something like this. ;)

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
We knew a long time ago that it went down due to mechanical failure not gunfire.
I think the Apache's armor is certified up to and including .50 cal (12.7mm). Somebody check me on that.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You realize that the thread heading is sarcasm, right?

The Apache is supposed to be able to withstand up to 23mm rounds. That doesn't mean that something smaller couldn't hurt it if it were hit in a critical location, however.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Old news. Iraq later admitted that Baghdad Bob himself actually shot it down, on his way to driving our forces out of Basra. He was too modest to take credit for it.