Shipping Large Speakers

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I am trying to ship 2x JBL TR125 speakers.

They are 63 pounds each and are (30 x 18 x 15) inches. They are full PA Speakers that are made out of a very hard plastic with a metal grill over the front drivers and port.

It looks like it is going to be $70 -$80 for ground shipping from Blacksburg to Miami. But that is without any weight for packing material or anything.

First off how do I ship them the cheapest? Second off, how would I package something this large? Do I need a package?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Kevin

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Bump... anyone. I really need to know how you go about shipping large items (Even more so, packing large items)

Thanks,
-Kevin

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The rate quoted sounds about right. Have you tried a freight company to ask about a drop shipment? You would have to drop the boxes off at the freight terminal and have someone pick them up at the other end but it might be cheaper.

Yellow Truck Lines used to offer this service.

Packing: wrap up in cardboard and plastic and strap to pallet.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
I've shipped my speakers (70+ lbs each) before. it costs some money, but for big stuff it seems like fedex ground was always the cheapest reliable route.

what I do is double box them, with the inside box being the original boxes they came in. then find a bigger box, and cut up a sheet of cheap dow blue styrofoam to make bracing panels to fit the smaller box in the big one. works fine.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
double boxing with foam inner layer is definitely the way to go. Very difficult to damage the speakers under typical bump and small drops. Of course, a fork lift could easily pierce it, but thats what insurance is for hopefully.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
I fond most shipping places have boxes for golf clubs/and or bags. They make excellent shipping containers for tower speakers