Shipping a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005
My parents are planning to send me a car from where they live (Cali to Ohio).

Any suggestions on a shipping company?

Its an 05 tiburon, nothing special but cheaper than buying a used car i'd say.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I had an estimate of $1100 from San Jose to Miami back in '08.

You can look up brokers on the Web.
Once you get on their list; expect a flood of offers for the next 3-4 months.
Price can vary $100-400

/time warp

Last edited:

cr2250

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2005

Once you get on their list; expect a flood of offers for then next 3-4 months.
Price can vary $100-400

LOL I just signed up for offers. I've gotten ten emails so far...hope this doesn't continue for long. Almost all are around the same price. Good thing I gave them my google number.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Once you get on their list; expect a flood of offers for then next 3-4 months.
Price can vary $100-400

LOL I just signed up for offers. I've gotten ten emails so far...hope this doesn't continue for long. Almost all are around the same price. Good thing I gave them my google number.

I warned you :hmm:

You will get follow up offers, dropping up to a $200 or so as time goes on.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Last name is the same - no problem
Have your dad sign the title over to you;
Attached a certified letter stating that the vehicle is a gift (avoids sales taxes)
Head down to the DMV with the insurance verification, title, letter and cash.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Man up and fly out and drive it back. Road trips are fun :p

I did a 4,625 mile trip in a my Forester last September...how uncomfortable is the Tiburon?

maidaa

Dec 11, 2010
Have you ever dealt with them? They quoted me about half (600), which is pretty good on what i've received so far.

Just wondering if the drivers are any good?

I have only been on the other end, done six cars.
But that was 10+ years ago.
Did not have any problem.

Wondering if it would be smart to install a OBD11 recorder...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I used Acme Car Shipping for my M3 in December. I also went with a fully enclosed carrier.

It was about $1100 from Ohio to S. Florida. Unenclosed would have been about $400-500 lower.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Can't do that...they have to work...

Anyone familiar of transferring a title to a different state. The car is in my Dad's name but it will be in mine (ohio)

Sort of, just 4-5 months ago I transferred my Jeep from New Mexico to Ohio. I had to go to the main BMV branch in Columbus and get an out of state inspection, they basically check to make sure the VINs match. I forget how much it cost, but your situation will probably be a bit different since you are transferring the title as well. The Jeep stayed in my name the whole time, but regardless I think you'll have to do the out of state inspection.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
fly and drive, haha.

Some people have more time than money...for me even though Ohio is under 20 hours away, I shipped my car. At 1200 miles fuel one way would have been at least $250.

If you take the government given .55 cents a mile...I was saving about $100 shipping it.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
http://transportreviews.com/

I looked all around here and got a few quotes trying to get a car shipped. Eventually I just gave up on all the BS and went and drove the car home.

I got quotes from 600-1200 from Virginia to Oklahoma, open carrier.

I gave one deposit and they tried to hit me up for an extra 200 when they found a driver that would haul it.

Got a plane ticket with airline miles and drove it home for 200 in gas, 120 for a motel and maybe 100 for incidentals. Much more fun.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
did you call the place I recommended? You also have to factor in the wear and tear of that long drive as a total cost.

I'd agree though if you have the time and x-country trip in a car you really wanted would be awesome.

I wanted to drive my M3 down from Ohio, stop in Chicago to see my family and hit up some hot night spots coming down to Florida...but I was deep in work at the time.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Two of my cars are currently in transit from AZ to OH with Reindeer autotransport but I'm not paying (employer is paying to move me) so I'm not sure how much it's going to cost. I believe it's about $1400 per car.

Status
Not open for further replies.