Shiny new MacBook, i7 8850H, where is the Coffee Lake love?

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
After the unfortunate death of my desktop and seeing as my inclination for building has now disappeared, picked up a top shelf model. Not too many reviews on the actual chip out there, any one running one? Blows my 7600 non K out of the water.

Reactions: Gideon

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's some "Coffee Lake Love" for ya. Anyways, that sounds pretty top-tier as far as laptops go.

I'm curious what happened to your desktop. PM me if you don't want to say publicly.

And yeah, good to hear from ya, been wondering where you went to.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
We have a not-very-active Apple subforum where someone else might have the same product.

To be perfectly honest, the various post-Kaby Lake mobile processors from Intel make me dizzy. There's too many that all seem to do about the same thing. But hey if you like the product then good for you.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
We have a not-very-active Apple subforum where someone else might have the same product.

To be perfectly honest, the various post-Kaby Lake mobile processors from Intel make me dizzy. There's too many that all seem to do about the same thing. But hey if you like the product then good for you.

Only the i9 is above the chip in Intel's product stack, and its fascinating how thin you can get whilst still slapping in a CPU of this calibre. Of course there will be some throttling eventually.

VirtualLarry, couldn't be woken up from sleep. Fiddled with the CMOS battery then put my foot through it and decided on a replacement. Don't have time anymore to fiddle with hardware. Or the inclination.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
VirtualLarry, couldn't be woken up from sleep. Fiddled with the CMOS battery then put my foot through it and decided on a replacement. Don't have time anymore to fiddle with hardware. Or the inclination.
Huh, weird.

My friend with the Athlon II X4 is having sleep issues too, ever since I helped him upgrade from a GT610 to an RX 570 4GB card.

His Windows 7 64-bit, he leaves it, and when he comes back, the screen is off, and moving the mouse doesn't bring it back, he has to hit Power. I don't know if he means Power on the monitor, or on the PC. He says all of his programs are still there and running.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Huh, weird.

My friend with the Athlon II X4 is having sleep issues too, ever since I helped him upgrade from a GT610 to an RX 570 4GB card.

His Windows 7 64-bit, he leaves it, and when he comes back, the screen is off, and moving the mouse doesn't bring it back, he has to hit Power. I don't know if he means Power on the monitor, or on the PC. He says all of his programs are still there and running.
Needs new PSU? Or double check if the sleep settings are set properly.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
After the unfortunate death of my desktop and seeing as my inclination for building has now disappeared, picked up a top shelf model. Not too many reviews on the actual chip out there, any one running one? Blows my 7600 non K out of the water.
I have the same machine running as my work computer. It's a surprisingly big upgrade from 4-core laptops. In some benchmarks it even rivals my Desktop 1700X (which I'm very impatient to upgrade to zen 2)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Needs new PSU? Or double check if the sleep settings are set properly.
Well, I considered that. I've run into systems with PSU problems, that basically sort of "fell into" sleep mode. (Which, I wonder about @escrow4 's now-dead rig.)

I did double-check the sleep settings in Windows 7, monitor sleep set for 20min, PC sleep set to Never.

So, now I'm thinking, that the monitor itself has a "deep sleep/power-off" mode, rather than the traditional "standby" that most monitors utilize. I've run into this on LCD TVs too. It's an additional power-saving "feature", that makes them a PITA to use for PC monitors, because if the monitor signal gets shut off by the host PC (monitor sleep mode), then it will go to standby for a specified period of time, like 10 minutes, then it will do a full power-off, that requires a press of the power button on the remote, or worse, on the physical unit, to power-on again. Just restoring the monitor signal won't do it.

In some displays, this is a configurable firmware option, and I'm hope that it is in my friend's monitor. If it's not, then this WAS a factory refurb, maybe that was the defect that it was returned for, and the service dept., didn't catch it. I hope that it's just a configuration setting though.

Edit: See
https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/downloads-faq/products/monitor/el2870u/manual.html

On Pg. 49 of the online PDF manual,
Auto Power Off
Sets the time to power off the monitor automatically in power saving mode.
• OFF • 10min. • 20min. • 30min.

So, I'm guessing that setting that to "OFF", will allow the monitor to remain in "standby" mode, and not actually "power-off", when the monitor signal gets disabled by the host PC.1555876418373.png

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, I considered that. I've run into systems with PSU problems, that basically sort of "fell into" sleep mode. (Which, I wonder about @escrow4 's now-dead rig.)

I did double-check the sleep settings in Windows 7, monitor sleep set for 20min, PC sleep set to Never.

So, now I'm thinking, that the monitor itself has a "deep sleep/power-off" mode, rather than the traditional "standby" that most monitors utilize. I've run into this on LCD TVs too. It's an additional power-saving "feature", that makes them a PITA to use for PC monitors, because if the monitor signal gets shut off by the host PC (monitor sleep mode), then it will go to standby for a specified period of time, like 10 minutes, then it will do a full power-off, that requires a press of the power button on the remote, or worse, on the physical unit, to power-on again. Just restoring the monitor signal won't do it.

In some displays, this is a configurable firmware option, and I'm hope that it is in my friend's monitor. If it's not, then this WAS a factory refurb, maybe that was the defect that it was returned for, and the service dept., didn't catch it. I hope that it's just a configuration setting though.

Edit: See
https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/downloads-faq/products/monitor/el2870u/manual.html

On Pg. 49 of the online PDF manual,
Auto Power Off
Sets the time to power off the monitor automatically in power saving mode.
• OFF • 10min. • 20min. • 30min.

So, I'm guessing that setting that to "OFF", will allow the monitor to remain in "standby" mode, and not actually "power-off", when the monitor signal gets disabled by the host PC.View attachment 5429
This sort of thing is very annoying. I would disable the displays own power setting and let the Computer's OS handle the sleep and power modes. That works out better anyway.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
I think the i7-8850H flies under the radar because the i7-8750H fits most of its use cases. The 8850H's performance advantages are hard to leverage due to thermals in most laptops, so the 8750H is 'good enough' much of the time.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Huh, weird.

Somewhat known issue with older motherboards and newer AMD video cards. My 2011 AM3 970 Gigabyte board has hated any post 2014 AMD card I've put in it. Corrupted bios start up screen, funky sleep issues where the monitor won't turn back on without a pc reboot etc.. Its not all due to the cards at times but that seems to be the biggest culprit. I have a RX 570 in there right now that seems the most stable compared to an R9 290 and RX 480.

One link explaining this problem: https://community.amd.com/thread/203956

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would highly suggest MacsFanControl and Turbo Boost Switcher for MacOS.

Out of the box, Apple lets their Macs get seriously hot without ramping up the fans and the user never knows.

I usually keep Turbo off and my temps never get above 70c.