Shin Etsu X23-7783D

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
I recently purchased some some shin etsu tim for a really good price on ebay. My problem is that I noticed the performance was quite a bit worse than the IC diamond I had previously applied to my 480gtx. I was not expecting huge differences, and was doing it mainly for the hell of it, but I was not expecting it to perform worse. (testing was done at the exact same ambient temperature, while recording idle temps, load temps, fan rpm, with multiple mounts with the 7783D and no change)

I also noticed the viscosity was pretty low, similar to shin-etsu MicroSI G751 and not even close to the IC. I had heard that this stuff was difficult to spread(I did not use a spread method), and was surprised at how easily it came out of the tube. The type isn't printed on the tube, but you can identify the type by color of the cap, in this case red. However, MicroSI X23-7762 also has a red cap, and a lower viscosity.

My question to those who have experience with the above TIM's, how is the viscosity of the 7783D compared to IC diamond? Should it be so low? I am trying to figure out if the seller is selling the 7762 or even g751 as 7783D.

Thanks!

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
Those are some of the more exotic TIMS and few people have experience with them. Research instigated by a thread here a year or so ago persuaded me that IC diamond is the best.

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Yeah the stuff I have is nowhere near as thick as the IC. I used the same method of application for both, using a dot(larger than for a cpu) in the center, and letting the heat sink compress/spread the TIM.

Dunno man. That's supposed to be good stuff. You have a link to the ebay listing?

http://skinneelabs.com/tim2010part1.html?page=4

Review here said it was very difficult to apply.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/89...ram.html#blank

I read good things about TX-4 and MX-4. Might wanna give one of them a go.

Last edited:

footballrunner800

Jan 28, 2008
I bought some off frys not that long ago. My tube was not thick at all but when you applied it to the die/heatspreader, it woudnt stick to it. I think thats why people say its hard to apply its close to impossible to spread it out i just put a dot in the middle like you did Citan.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Also it does have some cure time. Did you give it some time to cure before doing re-mounts?

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
Dunno man. That's supposed to be good stuff. You have a link to the ebay listing?

http://skinneelabs.com/tim2010part1.html?page=4

Review here said it was very difficult to apply.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/89...ram.html#blank

I read good things about TX-4 and MX-4. Might wanna give one of them a go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shin-Etsu-X23-7...ltDomain_0&hash=item3cb0af39a8#ht_2321wt_1139

I don't actually need new TIM I was just doing it because it was cheap and im a nerd. Skinnee's stuff is why I looked into it in the first place, I believe he has the best testing methodology of anyone doing these types of reviews so I think his results are good and the TIM should be working better than it is. I let it cure by folding for a day or so but saw little to no improvement.

Mainly I just want to see if I should hit the seller up about it and possibly leave some negative feedback.

Last edited:

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
I bought some off frys not that long ago. My tube was not thick at all but when you applied it to the die/heatspreader, it woudnt stick to it. I think thats why people say its hard to apply its close to impossible to spread it out i just put a dot in the middle like you did Citan.

Good to know football, thanks.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Hm, weird. Switch back to the Diamond and see if things return to normal. Maybe it just works better for your gtx480. I wouldn't give negative feedback, I purchased some thermal pads from that seller and even though they weren't what I needed he offered me a refund, which I declined.

I mean how much worse are we talking here?

Last edited:

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
Hm, weird. Switch back to the Diamond and see if things return to normal. Maybe it just works better for your gtx480. I wouldn't give negative feedback, I purchased some thermal pads from that seller and even though they weren't what I needed he offered me a refund, which I declined.

I mean how much worse are we talking here?

Well leaving the fan at auto with an ambient temp of 27C and running kombustor for 15min, im getting(fan speed is important here):

shin etsu???
idle 46
load max 93
max fan speed of 77%

IC
idle 45
load max: 90C(although it hit for about a second spending nearly all the time at 89)
max fan speed: 67%

Now, locking the fan to 70% and running the same test at same ambient

shin etsu
max 94C

IC
max 83C

I wont give negative feedback for no reason, like I said ill talk to the guy first. These results seem strange.

This. Give it some time to cure and your results could potentially improve more.

I will, but the shin etsu is said to have a minimal cure time, I think skinnee labs had it at around 4 hours.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
How many tubes did you buy? 1g won't last long for multiple mounts of a 480. I assume you cleaned the paste off before each mount. Best guess is you're not using enough. Otherwise it's just not what it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

CitanUzuki

Jan 8, 2009
I bought two 1g tubes, I clean and prep both surfaces with arctic clean between application and mount.

atran5e

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2008
Got some from the same seller a while ago. Thinner than my previous 7783D tubes. Much easier to apply.

Did not really compare temps before/after, so I couldn't tell you. Somebody should compare to 7783D from Fry's for example.

No Fry's close to me :/

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I'm using the shin etzu and it works great for me. It is thick and harder to spread than others so warm it up before you want to use it.

atran5e

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm using the shin etzu and it works great for me. It is thick and harder to spread than others so warm it up before you want to use it.

We know that, but this particular one from the Ebay seller mentioned above seems to be thinner.