Shin-Etsu X23-7762 vs. 7783D

GeneralOreo

Oct 18, 2007
According to the description on CrazyPC's site, the former is more forgiving when the heat sink block isn't a perfect finish while the latter is more suitable for straight surfaces.

Now I'm planning to lap both the CPU and heat sink.. but those descriptions don't help at all. Is my Thermalright Ultra Extreme suitable for the first or second one? What about before and after lapping? See, there really is no way to know... and there's the video card coolers too.

So I'm thinking of using both, and just compare. After that I'm going to try the new Noctua one. However, if anybody here has any info on why I can just skip to the 7783D then please share, it'd save me a lot of time. :p

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I've not found any of the S-E stuff to be easy to use with a texture like partly dried modeling clay. Try Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Tuniq TX-2. You're not likely to get significantly better performance with the S-E stuff. Besides, CrazyPC is charging wacko prices for the S-E stuff.

Look at eBay's prices.

.bh.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I used Arctic Cooling MX-2 on my HR-05 SLI and got temps within 1 degree Celsius of some Shin-Etsu stuff I had. I believe MX-1 comes on my Freezer 64 Pro so I chose not to mess with that. But yeah, MX-2 does great. Not really any need for that super priced S-E stuff.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
I used Arctic Cooling MX-2 on my HR-05 SLI and got temps within 1 degree Celsius of some Shin-Etsu stuff I had. I believe MX-1 comes on my Freezer 64 Pro so I chose not to mess with that. But yeah, MX-2 does great. Not really any need for that super priced S-E stuff.

S-E isnt super priced if you know where to buy it from.

I pick up a serigin from a forum member for about 4 dollars EACH. I have to buy in bulk tho, but i have about 7 left out of my order of 10. Otherwise he sells it at 7 dollars each shipped USPS.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You can try both, and I'm sure you'll find that they perform similarly. The 7783D is supposed to be a little better, but I doubt that it's better by much.

If I recall, it's Shin-Etsu G-751 (same stuff as MX-1) that is better for rough, unfinished surfaces. Either of the X23 variants should be great on lapped surfaces.