Question Shift video load from CPU to GPU, W7 (Solved!)

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've posted about this in the HTPC forum, but haven't had much response... so I'll try here.

RE: My HTPC...

HTPC: i3 2100, Giga B75M-D3H, MX500 500GB, 2x 5TB HDD, 4x 4GB Team RAM, EVGA GTX950 FTW, Corsair CX430v2, Define Mini, W7, WMC/MB

Streaming from HDD storage and the playback is fine... TV via HDMI.

Streaming from the internet is, however, another story. Netflix streaming is generally OK, but Amazon or any other streaming service has the 3-second herky-jerky playback. What I've found is the CPU is doing all the work, the GPU is idle. Streaming Amazon, the CPU is running at about 75%... and the GPU is doing nothing.

I use Firefox as my browser, but it happens on anything I try, including Chrome and IE.

How do I shift the streaming load to the GPU?

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Microsoft released their Edge Chromium for Windows 7 too, I'd try that.

My HTPC was previously a Core 2 Quad and GT 610 (Fermi) and I've now changed the CPU to a Phenom II X6, but I have never had any GPU acceleration issues no matter the streaming service. The obvious difference is I'm using Windows 10.

I assume you've already checked the browser settings that GPU acceleration is enabled?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I assume you've already checked the browser settings that GPU acceleration is enabled?

I have... both on Firefox and Chrome.

Further, I have completely disabled the iGPU in the BIOS... the only avenue for the video stream is through the GPU, but the way it's acting, it's almost just a passive adapter for the display. Weird.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you have any of those outdated "Codec packs" installed? If you do, they may be taking over the default browser ones, and they may be less GPU-accellerated.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Do you have any of those outdated "Codec packs" installed? If you do, they may be taking over the default browser ones, and they may be less GPU-accellerated.

I do! I think I have Shark007 installed, and maybe another... but I assumed that was all for WMC, not any browser. WMC is about dead, now, maybe I'll uninstall it and see how it does.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I have... both on Firefox and Chrome.

Further, I have completely disabled the iGPU in the BIOS... the only avenue for the video stream is through the GPU, but the way it's acting, it's almost just a passive adapter for the display. Weird.
Neither use hardware acceleration when watching DRM content (Widevine). You need to use Edge or Windows 10 Netflix app. With new Edge you need to be sure that PlayReady DRM is used instead of Widevine.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Neither use hardware acceleration when watching DRM content (Widevine). You need to use Edge or Windows 10 Netflix app. With new Edge you need to be sure that PlayReady DRM is used instead of Widevine.

Well... I'm still on W7 with this PC... so that might prove difficult. As I also mentioned, Netflix isn't the problem, even viewed through a browser... everything else is.

I updated the Codecs last night... no change. I'll try Edge, anyway, and see... but if memory serves, we tried Edge when we tried ATT TVNow (or whatever it's called) with similar results.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011

Larry... you get the big 'W'! Even though I updated the codecs, it didn't work... so I uninstalled all of them. 2 separate screens (Netflix and Amazon) and WMC, all running smooth as silk! Monitoring both the CPU and the GPU, it's obvious the load is off the CPU, and the GPU is doing it's share of work.

I don't recall why I installed the codecs, but I'll bet I'll find out soon enough. There was also a popup window on the codec install that recommended an adjusted setting if there were playback problems... so I can try that if the codec is still required.

Thanks, gang!

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Well... I'm still on W7 with this PC... so that might prove difficult. As I also mentioned, Netflix isn't the problem, even viewed through a browser... everything else is.

I updated the Codecs last night... no change. I'll try Edge, anyway, and see... but if memory serves, we tried Edge when we tried ATT TVNow (or whatever it's called) with similar results.
Not sure if the new Edge on Windows 7 supports PlayReady DRM. Same applies to Amazon but it's not at least stuck in 720p on like Netflix when using Winevide.