Sheesh, just how underfunded are our schools?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
It doesn't take much to educate kids in elementary/high school: a place, a teacher, some books, a chalk board and a game plan...and the kids of course. :)

and really nice crome'd out window tinted busses

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
So the next time your district has an education budget "crisis", remember this thread and just say, "no" to bloat. And the next time your presidential candidate wants to make education a "priority" tell him to shut up, stop trying to stealing from state coffers, and stick to his Constitutional priorities.

It doesn't take much to educate kids in elementary/high school: a place, a teacher, some books, a chalk board and a game plan...and the kids of course. :)

OMG, JellyBaby and I agree again. This is twice in one week! :Q:p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: fatbaby
at least 120 dell 800 mhz dell optiplexes here with 15" monitors

60 400 mhz imacs in the library

cable internet

5 dv camcorders

2 server boxes

8 20 port hubs

a tv in each room

a dell/mac in each room

20 ibooks

5 digicams

1 digital lcd projector

bose sound system

5 apple g4s

bleh

thats on par if not better then what my coolege has right now.

all our PCs are p3 500 or less with 64meg ram and 4 gig HDs

have a bunch of old G3 powermacs and i macs
Just got 30-40 new imacs for the physics labs.
and 5-10 G4 powermacs in the basement of our language building

only know of 1 Digital Vid cam and its in the Physics department

as for mu HS
40-50 P2 500 with crap for ram and crap for HD space. 15 in moniters. win NT basic sound. onboard graphics. and 1 had TV out so we could put it on at TV for presentations.

only tvs were ones used to watch VHS tabes on for class.
probibily 8-10 of thoes old crappy 27ins

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
80% of our school's budget is used for generous salaries for jobs that are less than a couple hundred working days. Benefits are pretty nice too, like having their own retirement fund, instead of having to pay into our lame ass social security system!

The balance of the money is used for building upkeep etc. Our money earmarked for computers has been spent on fvcking Macs! :disgust: It's been established over and over that x86 based machines offer the best bang for the buck, but we're saddled with these expensive, proprietary POS. Yep, my son's tell me how often they crash, even using only the software they shipped with! :|

AmdInside

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
I remember when I was at UC Davis, they upgraded alot the offices screens to 15" LCD's. This is back when 15" LCD's ran for at least $1200 a pop. And the year prior to that, they raised tuition because they said they were having budget problems.

I worked in the Mac store once and this guy calls to order a computer at the end of the year. He gets money from the goverment because one of his kids had some birth defect or something. Anyways, he said the agency that gives him money called him to tell him that they had a budget surplus so they needed to spend the money so they asked him if he needed anything. He said he didn't but they insisted that he try to think of something. He couldn't think of anything so they asked him if he had a computer. He said no. They told him to order a computer and they would pay for the cost as long as it was under $2000. So the guy agreed and ordered a computer. The kicker is that this money was supposed to be for the kid's problems but the kid wasn't even a year old. There was no realistic way the child will ever use the computer since by the time the child is old enough to use the computer, it will be very outdated.

This system is so messed up! :(

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
the problem with school funding is how they are funded. My first high school, New Trier, was ranked #1 in the nation when I went there. They spent 15K+ per kid, teachers average pay was around 80K, TV and radio stations, you name it. Hah, godamm, I just looked at their site and they built an entirely new campus just for the freshman class. All because the property base near the school is extradinorily wealthy.

The schools around where I lived in southern ohio, however, were barely operable. property tax increases were consistently voted down because folks simply couldnt afford to pay more to upgrade the schools. State minimum spending.Teacher pay starts at like 22K. Consistently poor test scores, little to no modern technology available to the kids.