Shaving question

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
So I have always been one with the straite blade?.

Brother in law gave me some super duper brawn electric shaver he said he spent a couple hundred on?.it has sat in my bathroom for 3 years I decided to at least try it out that way the next time I see him I can say I used it.

My question is, are there shaving special gels\foam for electric shavers? Or do you just do it dry or with water? Assuming this shaver can work in the shower also. Can I use a shaving gel? Can I use the same stuff I use with my blade razors?

Thanks

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
usually you have to use the shaving liquid, not gels/creams. I personally hate the electric razors and find that the blades are much better. I just switched to the Gillette Fusion blade and its great, by far the best shave ever.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Dry only! That's the beauty.

You can use a pre-shave alcohol based liquid to perk up the hairs. (Lectric brand)

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: MrWizzard
So I have always been one with the straite blade?.

Brother in law gave me some super duper brawn electric shaver he said he spent a couple hundred on?.it has sat in my bathroom for 3 years I decided to at least try it out that way the next time I see him I can say I used it.

My question is, are there shaving special gels\foam for electric shavers? Or do you just do it dry or with water? Assuming this shaver can work in the shower also. Can I use a shaving gel? Can I use the same stuff I use with my blade razors?

Thanks

Read the manual. Some require special types meant for the shaver, some can get away using whateveer you want. My dad's Braun require a specific gel. Again, read the manual.

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
If you still have the directions around, i would browse through them. They usually state in there what shaving products you can use with it.

IIRC, it takes a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to an electric shaver. So if you try it, at least give it two weeks before you ditch it.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: stlcardinals
If you still have the directions around, i would browse through them. They usually state in there what shaving products you can use with it.
IIRC, it takes a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to an electric shaver. So if you try it, at least give it two weeks before you ditch it.
Yeah... you have to let the razor eat the baby fat, wimp skin off your face before it works well.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I love how smooth my face is after using an electric, but my face stings for the next 12-24 hours after a shave my face stings like crazy if I sweat. (At the gym 6 times a week, so I've been using a Mach 3/Fusion for the past 2-3 years)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
You can dampen your face with warm water or "lectric shave" to soften and make the whiskers stand up. I've used an electric for years and I use it dry. As said above it takes your face a week or two to adjust and you may experience mild irritation durring that period.

The shaving part takes a little longer with an electric than a blade, but you save all the lather up and clean up time. And you will never get that babys butt smooth shave with an electric like you can with a blade, it's plenty good for appearances and work but if your going to get up close and personal with a lady the blade is still the best way to go.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I have a Norelco "Cool Skin" that has the "Goo" that squirts out of it. It works fine. I only shave in the shower now but don't get my face wet first. Although if I run out of the Good stuff, I can get it wet and it actually works better.

My old Norelco I had from years ago I had to do it with a totally dry face or it would snag all over the place.

I'd just to Trial and Error and see what works best for you.