Shattered front glass damaged iMac's LCD: Remove anti-glare AG coating?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I see some discussion elsewhere on the net of removing the anti-glare coatings from several types of LCDs but I'd like to get a discussion going about it here, mostly because I'm too lazy to register elsewhere and they don't seem to apply to my specific situation. XD

Basically, I'm working on an iMac for someone who kicked it and shattered the front glass (not part of the LCD panel). The shattered glass damaged a large area of the anti-glare coating, most likely straight though to the layer underneath, through the screen still works fine. I see that many people soak paper towels and place them all over the screen and leave it there for 12+ hours before peeling it back from the corners (usually take the LCD panel itself apart). The AG removal discussions I see online specifically say not to allow water or whatever they use to reach the layer underneath, which would happen right through the damaged spots if I did this the most common way. I see conflicting information though (some say to use Windwx; other say "never," etc).

Any suggestions for my particular situation? I'm thinking that I should mask off any damaged areas with scotch tape and then soak, but I have a feeling that it will leave the AG coating stuck to the areas that are already damaged, enhancing it. :(

Anyway, it appears that most people

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Take it apart . The screen that is cracked can then be removed completely. Otherwise you are going to have cracked pieces of glass left inside the frame. If it is like I think it is they have a layer of glass then another layer of glass that is part of the actual LCD. They do this on some laptops because replacing a thin piece of glass is cheaper than replacing a lcd.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Take it apart . The screen that is cracked can then be removed completely. Otherwise you are going to have cracked pieces of glass left inside the frame. If it is like I think it is they have a layer of glass then another layer of glass that is part of the actual LCD. They do this on some laptops because replacing a thin piece of glass is cheaper than replacing a lcd.

Of course. It's been taken apart to replace the HDD and I'd have to actually take off the frame around the LCD to remove the AG coating. The shattered front glass is completely removed (originally attached to the aluminum frame with magnets). The owners ordered a replacement, which is a waste of money if the screen still looks so bad (why bother protecting it?). That's why I want to remove the coating and improve it as much as I can.

The remaining damage is to the coating, which does not appear to be glass.

iMac_screen_damage_ag_coating.jpg

Thanks!