Sharing Wifi connection between XBox and PC?

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Hey guys,

Bit of a confusing setup I have going on. I have a HTPC in my living room connected to the internet via a 802.11b USB adapter (Linksys) and a Linksys 802.11b router, located in the basement. Right now, my signal is very poor (one bar out of five), so what kind of extender, if any, works with my router, that would help increase signal strength, and by how much?

Next question. I have an XBox in the setup as well, and since the release of Halo 2, I've had an urge to play Live, but there's no cable, obviously, in the living room that would give me internet. I know you can do XBox wirelessly with a bridge, but I don't want to use a bridge, so can I just connect it to my PC and do some kind of bridge thing like that? What would I need for that?

Lastly, to prevent the XBox from lagging, will 802.11b be enough, and how much signal should I have to have lag-free gameplay?

Thanks in advance :).

Modder N Art

Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: SLCentral
Hey guys,

Bit of a confusing setup I have going on. I have a HTPC in my living room connected to the internet via a 802.11b USB adapter (Linksys) and a Linksys 802.11b router, located in the basement. Right now, my signal is very poor (one bar out of five), so what kind of extender, if any, works with my router, that would help increase signal strength, and by how much?

Next question. I have an XBox in the setup as well, and since the release of Halo 2, I've had an urge to play Live, but there's no cable, obviously, in the living room that would give me internet. I know you can do XBox wirelessly with a bridge, but I don't want to use a bridge, so can I just connect it to my PC and do some kind of bridge thing like that? What would I need for that?

Lastly, to prevent the XBox from lagging, will 802.11b be enough, and how much signal should I have to have lag-free gameplay?

Thanks in advance :).

You might check on the XBox Live forums, as they have considerable experience there networking the XBox.

You also might consider going WiFi G, which will ensure lag free play.

Lisa