Question Sharing internet connection wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battousai01

Oct 15, 2002
Hi guys, I will be sharing the my internet connection with my neighbor wirelessly instead of using a cable (my initial plan is to connect a LAN cable from my router/modem all the way to their router's WAN port) but I realized connecting wirelessly is more convenient, no more cables and no more drilling on to walls.

I have tried connecting my neighbor's wifi router to my wireless router/modem using "universal repeater" mode, basically, the way I understand this is that the neighbor's router is connecting and getting its internet connection wirelessly from my router/modem, then all users from their house will connect to their router (they will not be connecting to my router/modem).

I come across another mode which is "WISP", what is the difference of this mode from the "universal repeater" mode? I tried doing some reading and it says that this is a more secure way of sharing internet connection by setting up a totally separate network? So does it mean that in "universal repeater" mode my neighbor can also access the devices connected to my router/modem?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
As long as your neighbor is connecting to your network, he can see everything on your network, unless you put him on a wifi guest network (a separate IP range, if your router supports it)

WISP also put him in another IP range so he actually is in double NAT. but all of his devices still can access all of your devices on your network.

You are also responsible for his any illegal activities on the internet if any. So my recommendation: don't do it. You are asking trouble.

Best reason to refuse him: your wife does not allow this.

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Hi guys, I will be sharing the my internet connection with my neighbor wirelessly instead of using a cable (my initial plan is to connect a LAN cable from my router/modem all the way to their router's WAN port) but I realized connecting wirelessly is more convenient, no more cables and no more drilling on to walls.

I have tried connecting my neighbor's wifi router to my wireless router/modem using "universal repeater" mode, basically, the way I understand this is that the neighbor's router is connecting and getting its internet connection wirelessly from my router/modem, then all users from their house will connect to their router (they will not be connecting to my router/modem).

I come across another mode which is "WISP", what is the difference of this mode from the "universal repeater" mode? I tried doing some reading and it says that this is a more secure way of sharing internet connection by setting up a totally separate network? So does it mean that in "universal repeater" mode my neighbor can also access the devices connected to my router/modem?
Your modem router is ISP provided and also the Gateway. I doubt you can separate the networks if you are using your ISP equipment as installed.

Best bet would be to set up a wireless bridge and VLAN them into their own network (to separate yours from theirs) but you will need to buy equipment that can do that, you can also limit their bandwidth as well.

If you go that route, you will need to disable your Gateway and put it in bridge mode so that it functions as only a modem. So you would need another router as well.

@ch33zw1z @SamirD may have opinions on equipment capable of such.

And mxnerd is correct with everything stated. You don't want a double NAT nor them having access to all of your network.

What ISP and speed data caps if any do you have?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
A setup similar to @DaaQ is probably best. Use a Point to Point bridge, managed switch at neighbors, VLAN out two isolated networks. Keep in mind though, most ISP's would be unhappy about sharing like this...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
This (tenants sharing one paid service location among neighbors) is not allowed from any ISP.

Locking this.

AT Mod Usandthem

Status
Not open for further replies.