Question Sharing files on home network issue

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Trying to setup file sharing between 2 desktops. These are on same network, both running windows 10 pro, connected to switch using ethernet, which is connected by ethernet to router. I can see the computera on the network page. But when I try to open it, it says can't access it, network path not found.
Both have file and printer sharing turned on, password protected sharing off. Either desktop can see and access wireless devices like a printer.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Did you set up a drive or folder as shared? Turning on file sharing doesn't share all files by default.
I set up a folder to be shared. Gave everyone permission for the time being trying to figure this out. It will not let me open the computer to see what is shared.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Now I don't understand this at all. Have a laptop that is connected wireless and it can see and open both desktops just fine. But the desktops still can't open each other. Also either desktop can't open the laptop. Besides the laptop being wireless, one other difference I seen is it is on guest or public network instead of private as the desktops are. Laptop is running windows 10 home, desktops are 10 pro.

Something else that seems strange is the laptop can't see the printer on the network page but the desktops can. EDIT: Realized desktops now can't see the printer but it could yesterday, have not changed anything since then.

Smb 1.0 is enabled.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I have set all of them to private. About the ip range, the first 3 sets of numbers are the same but the last set of numbers is pretty far apart. Desktop A is 21 and B is 249. Would that make any difference?

Found out something else. When I type the ip address of desktop A in the run command on desktop B, I will get a message saying "you can't access this shared folder because of organization security policies block unauthenticated guest access."

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

memory

Oct 3, 2010
No.

Ty, I will look into that. By doing any of that, will that make anything less secure?

The more I mess with this, the more confused I get. I have a spare desktop that someone gave me that is running windows 10 pro. Decided to hook that up and see what happened. With the spare desktop, I can access desktop A but A can't access the spare. Spare is connected to same switch as A via ethernet o_O

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
First off, make sure you are on the same version of Windows 10 for all machines. SMB 1.0 shouldn't matter unless you have very old devices that only support SMB 1.0, ex: printers or shared hard drives.

Are these pro machines in a domain? Something like mycompany.local?

memory

Oct 3, 2010
First off, make sure you are on the same version of Windows 10 for all machines. SMB 1.0 shouldn't matter unless you have very old devices that only support SMB 1.0, ex: printers
When you say version, do you mean like home or pro or the updates? Destkop A, B and spare, the ones that are connected to switch are running the newest version of windows, 20h2. Not sure about the laptop or desktop C at the moment.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
When you say version, do you mean like home or pro or the updates?
updates.

Did you use guest account on these machines?
I never used guest account before so I don't know what message I'll get if I use guest account to access another machine.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Make sure File and Printer Sharing is Checked off in "Allow Apps to communicate thru Windows Defender Firewall"

I know, sounds crazy, but I recently came across a file share that stopped working after replacing a router, and Windows reaction to the new network was to lock it down. I had to enable SMB 1.0 / CIFS (who knows why) AND re-enable File and Print Sharing in the firewall rules.

Windows only has the best intentions ;P

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, also make sure File and Printer sharing is turned on

View attachment 41155

In my particular problem, those were enabled, but in the actual firewall setting for "allow an app thru the firewall", file and print sharing / file and print sharing for SMB were unchecked.

I'm not sure how MS can break things so we'll, on only occasional basis, but darned frustrating when it happens.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Try accessing PCs via IP through the run prompt e.g. \\192.168.0.254

Is any third party security software installed (particularly firewall)?

I think the normal routine I use is to try and browse the network for other PCs which for the first time will trigger Windows to ask whether you want to enable file/print sharing and set the Windows firewall to the private network setting, yes to both.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
In my particular problem, those were enabled, but in the actual firewall setting for "allow an app thru the firewall", file and print sharing / file and print sharing for SMB were unchecked.

I'm not sure how MS can break things so we'll, on only occasional basis, but darned frustrating when it happens.

You probably is talking about SMB Direct (SMB over Remote Direct Memory Access [RDMA])

feature of SMB 3.0 that's introduced in Windows 10 & Server 2012?

Untitled.png

Unless your network adapter supports RDMA (which improves network performance), it shouldn't has something to do with network name resolution and discovery,
but MS Windows Network is always wonky, isn't it? No wonder MS encourage people to use DNS in their environment.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You probably is talking about SMB Direct (SMB over Remote Direct Memory Access [RDMA])

feature of SMB 3.0 that's introduced in Windows 10 & Server 2012?

Unless your network adapter supports RDMA, it shouldn't has something to do with network name resolution and discovery,
but MS Windows Network is always wonky, isn't it? No wonder MS encourage people to use DNS in their environment.

Yea, I didn't spend tons of time on it. File sharing broke with a Router replacement, and windows wigged out. Those were just some of the things. I know it worked without the firewall enabled, but I didn't wanna do that so those were things I found that seemed to correct it. Maybe it will help the OP

I dunno if what you mentioned specifically fixed it, I just found it unchecked in the firewall rules and said eff it, checked it off while I was checking off file and print sharing.

Literally the machine hosting the QB file is the one that broke, none of the workstations 🤪

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yea, I didn't spend tons of time on it. File sharing broke with a Router replacement, and windows wigged out. Those were just some of the things. I know it worked without the firewall enabled, but I didn't wanna do that so those were things I found that seemed to correct it. Maybe it will help the OP

I dunno if what you mentioned specifically fixed it, I just found it unchecked in the firewall rules and said eff it, checked it off while I was checking off file and print sharing.

Literally the machine hosting the QB file is the one that broke, none of the workstations 🤪
As long as it works, it's a solution. 😁

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
What's the Microsoft Computer Browser Service?

It probably doesn't change much if you do not have a DNS server in your environment.

It's a very complex process.

==

Haven't update my knowledge regarding these for a long time though.

==

Well, Network Discovery without Computer Browser service

Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
It's normal now. They sell external SSD drives already.

Different types of SSDs have different write endurance ratings. QVL drives are usually the lowest, with MLC drives being among the highest. However, there are hardly any MLC drives made anymore, so most people use drives with TLC NAND. Each capacity and brand of SSD offers different endurance warranties, so you'll have to figure out how much data you will write (and how often).

HDDs are cheaper, especially larger ones that are 2TB+, but I'd imagine the "average" user has under that amount. In that case, a person can buy a quality 2TB SSD for under $200.
First off, make sure you are on the same version of Windows 10 for all machines. SMB 1.0 shouldn't matter unless you have very old devices that only support SMB 1.0, ex: printers or shared hard drives.

Are these pro machines in a domain? Something like mycompany.local?
These machines are not in a domain.
updates.

Did you use guest account on these machines?
I never used guest account before so I don't know what message I'll get if I use guest account to access another machine.
Have not checked all machines to verify but none of them should be on guest accounts. The 2 I did check is local account admin. And now that you mention this about user accounts, IIRC, I was having issues possibly with this same thing a while back. Talked to a local computer shop and he said to create a new account. I did that and it worked. But can't remember for sure if it was about this or something else.

Make sure File and Printer Sharing is Checked off in "Allow Apps to communicate thru Windows Defender Firewall"

I know, sounds crazy, but I recently came across a file share that stopped working after replacing a router, and Windows reaction to the new network was to lock it down. I had to enable SMB 1.0 / CIFS (who knows why) AND re-enable File and Print Sharing in the firewall rules.

Windows only has the best intentions ;P
File and printer sharing is checked. But there is an option for file and printer sharing over smbdirect which is unchecked on 2 of the desktops.

As of right now, I have not really made any changes. I will try to work on it today. Even though there are 5 computers all together, I am just going to focus on 2 of them. Have a feeling once I get those 2 working, the others will start working too. Just still baffles me that a laptop can access all the computers but nothing can access the laptop or other desktops.

Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
Try accessing PCs via IP through the run prompt e.g. \\192.168.0.254

Is any third party security software installed (particularly firewall)?

I think the normal routine I use is to try and browse the network for other PCs which for the first time will trigger Windows to ask whether you want to enable file/print sharing and set the Windows firewall to the private network setting, yes to both.

I did try that and I get a message I posted in post #9. On desktop A, I do have MBAM premium

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
None of my machines' SMB Direct in firewall are checked and it does not hinder the Windows's file sharing and network discovery capability. Also none of them has SMB 1.0 enabled.

Disable MBAM and see.

Reactions: ch33zw1z