Sharing a wired connection

Dan145

Sep 1, 2018
So here in our new office we have a single cable which can be connected to our PC/laptop to connect to the Internet. How can I share this Internet to all other PCs (using wired not wireless connection)? What device do I need?
In other words, I want to "split" this cable so that there would be a cable for each PC.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Like jack said, it really depends on what's on the other end of the cable. Who admins the drop to your unit? Direct from the ISP? Etc...

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
The simplest thing you would need would be an ethernet hub, but I wouldn't recommend that. As the others have said, whats on the other end of the cable?

RScottyL

Nov 28, 2008
I agree with the above posters that the device you are looking for is a SWITCH.

All of your computers in the office will be connected to the switch. You will also have your internet connection connected to the switch and everything connected to the swich has access to it!

You will need to see how many devices will need to share that connection and you will need to get a switch with at least that many ports in it. They come in 4, 8, 16, 24, 48 ports!

When counting that, you will need to count any network printers or any file servers you will need to be on there!

Last edited: