• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Shaman or Warrior

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
rerolling again, this time to play casually with some friends nothing hard core

for refrence i have played 2 Rogues, a Lock and a Spriest endgame and am looking for something diff

i really dont have a pref im just bad at making decisions, Freinds are playing a Priest and a Lock
 

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
2,529
1
0
If they are doing a priest and lock, then might as well go warrior. If you can hold agro you guys will be unstoppable. imba locks.
 

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
29,968
621
126
Kind of what someone else described, you're going to be stuck as the tank in your group in some situations. Sometimes you can get away with a lock using an elite demon (like in Nagrand). Shamans do not make good tanks. The easiest duo I leveled up was my Warrior+Priest duo... there was nothing that stopped them. Shamans can kind of tank once they get their Earth Elemental Totem at level 66. I tanked Cho'wall the Pillager, Tusker, etc using the Earth Elemental, my Shaman healing the Earth Elemental and my mage doing DPS.

Although the idea of a feral druid doesn't sound bad either. The advantage is that your tanking build also works as a DPS build so you're not stuck in one or the other. The mention of a Paladin was probably aimed at being a protadin. Prot Paladins are hard to take down, especially as they get further in the protection tree.

Personally, I didn't have much fun leveling my warrior from 1-60. Leveling my Shaman from 1-60 wasn't too bad. Although, you will be with other people, so I doubt your experiences will be anything like mine.

As for Shaman's CC, yes they pretty much have none. The only type of CC that you have is Stoneclaw Totem, which doesn't usually last all that long. This CC is only usable on things that actually hit the totem too.
 

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
3,524
0
0
I'm sure I'll get flamed but...Hunter. I don't have much experience with WoW or all the classes but I do like the Hunters.
 

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
29,968
621
126
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
I'm sure I'll get flamed but...Hunter. I don't have much experience with WoW or all the classes but I do like the Hunters.
Well, Hunters are supposedly getting quite the buffs in 2.3. Dead Zone will probably be removed and Aimed Strike might get a Mortal Strike effect :Q.
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
ive played a huntard before, i lvled one to about 20 and it was the most boring thing ever, i also watched and played one a few times at 60 and 70, and honestly its not that enjoyable IMO

im not to worried about CC warriors dont really have one wither so that arguement against a shammy is kinda moot,
 

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
2,837
0
0
I find shamans boring. I have a 70 that I ran to rank 12 pre TBC. If you are rolling Horde, go Orc imo... casting animation FTW. If you make a Draenei... eww. If you are enhancement at 70, ummm...

If you like the bloodspurts wars create, do eet... I loved leveling my war to 70. He's just an alt, but still has a crapload of uses.

I would tell you to consider Feral Druid, but you did 2 rogues already.
 

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
2,094
0
76
Roll a warrior, plan to tank.

All your old roles are DPS.

Personally I have a 70 mage, 70 rogue, so now I'm working on a belf prot paladin for a change of pace (lvl 43 atm).

Also leveling up a huntress to enjoy the low level quests again as a dps :)
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
Originally posted by: crimson117
Roll a warrior, plan to tank.

All your old roles are DPS.

Personally I have a 70 mage, 70 rogue, so now I'm working on a belf prot paladin for a change of pace (lvl 43 atm).

Also leveling up a huntress to enjoy the low level quests again as a dps :)
the main reason i dont want to roll a Warrior is because i dont want to tank, i also dont want to heal, i healed in a naxx guild at 60 on the priest, dont really wanna go that role again
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
I find shamans boring. I have a 70 that I ran to rank 12 pre TBC. If you are rolling Horde, go Orc imo... casting animation FTW. If you make a Draenei... eww. If you are enhancement at 70, ummm...

If you like the bloodspurts wars create, do eet... I loved leveling my war to 70. He's just an alt, but still has a crapload of uses.

I would tell you to consider Feral Druid, but you did 2 rogues already.
yea we are horde and either will be an Orc, i cant stand cows, they look like they are moveing in slow motion

1 rogue is a NE the other UD, the Priest is UD and the lock is an Orc,

as Corpsegrider would say, FUCK THE MOTHER FUCKING FAGGOTY ALIANCE
 

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
2,837
0
0
I feel much like this Corpsegrider does. I'd say go Orc Shaman then looks like from your posts, and if you are casual then you don't have to worry about raid healing. Since you will be a hybrid you can change it up when bored.

I still love mashing faces as a warrior though when the bug hits. I have an MS war with PvP gear minus sa few glad pieces and it's kinda fun when you have a healer following you around.

Shit, with a priest healing you, and the lock tapping for mana... you would never have to stop.
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
Originally posted by: LAMONTBURNS
I feel much like this Corpsegrider does. I'd say go Orc Shaman then looks like from your posts, and if you are casual then you don't have to worry about raid healing. Since you will be a hybrid you can change it up when bored.

I still love mashing faces as a warrior though when the bug hits. I have an MS war with PvP gear minus sa few glad pieces and it's kinda fun when you have a healer following you around.

Shit, with a priest healing you, and the lock tapping for mana... you would never have to stop.
yea im still up in the air about it, i have access to basicially any class at 70 that i want, maybe ill play my brothers Cow warrior and see how it is

massing face was always fun on my rogue and on a lock wasent so much mashing someones face as it was LOLing at their inability to kill me

yes lock are pretty damn overpowered

this is the Corpsegrinder Video, NSFW because of langudage but its really funny, hes the singer for Cannibal Corpse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtyYiI5HDk
 

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
2,321
8
81
As a person with 7 70's, who previously had 12 60's...I would say roll a warrior. This is purely for pvp or dps purposes though, I don't enjoy tanking. They are probably the most powerful class right now if you have decent gear and skill. I have 2 70 warriors, gnome and tauren (these are the best races - gnome is amazing for pvp), and I have barely tanked at all, never had a tanking spec.

I only play the game for pvp right now, as pve requires more time than I have nowadays...I used to raid as a hunter and a dps warrior though.

Anyways, coming from someone who has played the fuck outta this game, roll warrior and just pvp...that is the combination for maximum enjoyment in WoW.
 

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
1,293
1
0
I loved my gnome warrior. I loved tanking end-game because I played a big role in the raid and got lots of attention. I loved rocking in PvP. My only complaint would be that there always seemed to be way too many warriors fighting over gear/spots in parties/raids.
 

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
9,020
0
0
I played a premade warrior on the PTR, with spec advice from my 2k+ arena warrior friend. The class seemed powerful enough (just not in my newbie hands -- although I did give rogues the fucking smackdown they deserve :evil: ), and it stayed interesting enough with the different stances and switching them mid-fight to use different abilities. Being all but immune to fear was kickass too. I also think this class would make a good choice with your friends playing a lock and SP. I know you don't want to tank, but once in a while someone will need to do a quest or a non-heroic, and having that option will be nice.

I also played a shaman on the PTR - my main was one, and you know how I feel about them - but this one was enhancement, a spec I haven't been since Feb. 2005, and don't have the gear for. It was so unbelievably boring o_O Autoattack, stormstrike, earthshock. That's it. As for elemental (you say you don't want to heal, so your shaman choices would be ele or enh) - now that I've quit my shaman and some of the anger has dissipated I can give a more objective view on them. Basically, they fail in 1v1 / small group PvP (including world PvP and 2v2 arenas). In larger scale encounters though, the spec works fairly well. With no CC (only class in WoW) and no escape moves, they're more reliant than any other class on stamina and resilience, so unless you plan on serious arenaing -- and you'd have to do 5v5, cause shamans suck in smaller brackets -- it would take too long or be impossible to gear up respectably for the spec.

I'd go with warrior or druid. My feral is 63 and a ton of fun, the versatility is really what does it for me - I've always been a hybrid at heart, even played a druid and shaman back in Everquest.

PS - if you remember me saying I quit... I did for a while. Then started back up as a warlock :)

Originally posted by: Anubis
im not to worried about CC warriors dont really have one wither so that arguement against a shammy is kinda moot,
Lol warriors have a ton of CC. Charge stun, intercept stun, intimidating shout and that ridiculous mace stun that can utterly stunlock someone with a bit of luck. You can't truly appreciate the lack of CC unless you play a 70 shaman and can't move half the time cause you're CC'd, nor do anything about it. Even those short 2 second stuns (blackout, impact) make a huge difference and are something shamans don't have.
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
Originally posted by: CKent
I played a premade warrior on the PTR, with spec advice from my 2k+ arena warrior friend. The class seemed powerful enough (just not in my newbie hands -- although I did give rogues the fucking smackdown they deserve :evil: ), and it stayed interesting enough with the different stances and switching them mid-fight to use different abilities. Being all but immune to fear was kickass too. I also think this class would make a good choice with your friends playing a lock and SP. I know you don't want to tank, but once in a while someone will need to do a quest or a non-heroic, and having that option will be nice.

I also played a shaman on the PTR - my main was one, and you know how I feel about them - but this one was enhancement, a spec I haven't been since Feb. 2005, and don't have the gear for. It was so unbelievably boring o_O Autoattack, stormstrike, earthshock. That's it. As for elemental (you say you don't want to heal, so your shaman choices would be ele or enh) - now that I've quit my shaman and some of the anger has dissipated I can give a more objective view on them. Basically, they fail in 1v1 / small group PvP (including world PvP and 2v2 arenas). In larger scale encounters though, the spec works fairly well. With no CC (only class in WoW) and no escape moves, they're more reliant than any other class on stamina and resilience, so unless you plan on serious arenaing -- and you'd have to do 5v5, cause shamans suck in smaller brackets -- it would take too long or be impossible to gear up respectably for the spec.

I'd go with warrior or druid. My feral is 63 and a ton of fun, the versatility is really what does it for me - I've always been a hybrid at heart, even played a druid and shaman back in Everquest.

PS - if you remember me saying I quit... I did for a while. Then started back up as a warlock :)

Originally posted by: Anubis
im not to worried about CC warriors dont really have one wither so that arguement against a shammy is kinda moot,
Lol warriors have a ton of CC. Charge stun, intercept stun, intimidating shout and that ridiculous mace stun that can utterly stunlock someone with a bit of luck. You can't truly appreciate the lack of CC unless you play a 70 shaman and can't move half the time cause you're CC'd, nor do anything about it. Even those short 2 second stuns (blackout, impact) make a huge difference and are something shamans don't have.
CC to mea means something like sheep or sduce, takes someone or something compleatly out of the fight, stuns dont count, i played a rogue remember stuns are not a CC
 

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
9,020
0
0
Originally posted by: Anubis
CC to mea means something like sheep or sduce, takes someone or something compleatly out of the fight, stuns dont count, i played a rogue remember stuns are not a CC
You're talking about PvE CC, I'm talking PvP.
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
even in PVP stuns arnt a CC, you cont see people calling CC in the arena and then a warrior charging them
 

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
29,968
621
126
Originally posted by: Anubis
even in PVP stuns arnt a CC, you cont see people calling CC in the arena and then a warrior charging them
I consider stuns a CC :confused:.

I've heard a lot of pro-warrior talk, but one thing to remember about a warrior is that you can have some good skill, but you're going to get pounded to hell without good gear. I PVP on my warrior sometimes for fun and as much as I may know about the class, I can't do much because my gear is kind of mediocre. My rogue doesn't have this problem unless he's fighting majorly geared out PVP people (lots of resilience~). I will admit... the only reason I rolled a warrior is I liked charging things :p. Then Blizzard gave me Intervene and I was so elated :D! Surprisingly enough, I use Intervene a lot in PVP. You'll be in AV and you'll charge into a group and unleash some hell... problem is, then you start getting hit. You turn around, target a close friendly and use Intervene on him. Problem solved ;).

I'm surprised Kent didn't complain about Dwarf/Draenei priests getting a new stun to replace Fear Ward :p.

As for tanking, tanking only really sucks when you're with people you don't actually like being with or people that don't know how to play. More often than not, these people are the kind that will go all out DPS the second you touch a mob then they complain because you can't pull it off them (taunt only goes so far). Of course, if you're using a sword-n-board, everyone expects you to be prot spec too!
 

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
9,020
0
0
Hah, priests getting stuns at this point is like the ocean getting a few drops of rain. I don't even play my shaman anymore, his account is frozen and I may sell it. I've seen the light and rolled a warlock, he's 35 and climbing.

Anyway, on-demand CC (HoJ, Poly) can be used strategetically and so it's certainly very different from proc CC like mace spec and blackout, but all are extremely powerful as they remove your opponent's control of his character. As a shaman, all abilities of this kind were frustrating beyond belief since I couldn't do it back to people, and knowing this, they focus fired me without fail (unless another shaman was nearby).

PS - I played a premade rogue on the PTR and I've started to see the problem. You're a god 1v1, which is what I complained about... but the minute it becomes group combat you're a sitting duck. While I can appreciate the problem, my sympathy is very limited because 1) you still have it much better than non-resto shamans and 2) for 4 long, painful months after TBC, I couldn't cure poisons due to that god damn bug, and so a 3% chance at beating a rogue if the bug weren't there, was actually a 0% chance. All because those idiot EQ raider devs were too busy finishing up BT to fix a gamebreaking PvP bug. Yeah I'm bitter.

PPS - I also played a preamde warrior on the PTR, and exclusively killed rogues. I would routinely ignore flags and other enemies to kill rogues. It was strangely theraputic :evil:
 

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
78,716
413
126
Originally posted by: CKent
Hah, priests getting stuns at this point is like the ocean getting a few drops of rain. I don't even play my shaman anymore, his account is frozen and I may sell it. I've seen the light and rolled a warlock, he's 35 and climbing.

Anyway, on-demand CC (HoJ, Poly) can be used strategetically and so it's certainly very different from proc CC like mace spec and blackout, but all are extremely powerful as they remove your opponent's control of his character. As a shaman, all abilities of this kind were frustrating beyond belief since I couldn't do it back to people, and knowing this, they focus fired me without fail (unless another shaman was nearby).

PS - I played a premade rogue on the PTR and I've started to see the problem. You're a god 1v1, which is what I complained about... but the minute it becomes group combat you're a sitting duck. While I can appreciate the problem, my sympathy is very limited because 1) you still have it much better than non-resto shamans and 2) for 4 long, painful months after TBC, I couldn't cure poisons due to that god damn bug, and so a 3% chance at beating a rogue if the bug weren't there, was actually a 0% chance. All because those idiot EQ raider devs were too busy finishing up BT to fix a gamebreaking PvP bug. Yeah I'm bitter.

PPS - I also played a preamde warrior on the PTR, and exclusively killed rogues. I would routinely ignore flags and other enemies to kill rogues. It was strangely theraputic :evil:

lol yes most rogues agree that they are kinda godlike in 1v1 the arguement was group, in most arenas we just die to fast once out of stealth resliance killed burst damage which was also our big thing

prob roll the war so i can smash people, i really wish taurrens had a stomp gnome ability, man do gnomes suck
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY