Shadowplay Gripes

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Well I finally got to use it last night. I opted to set mine for the shadow mode only and for 3 minutes. At first I could not get it to work at all. I never saw the recording indicator at all when I pressed the hotkey.

After some Googling I found that it does not work at all in windowed or borderless windowed modes which is how anyone with multi monitor (non eyefinity) setups generally play.

Once I annoyingly switched to full screen I noticed the indicator and it worked very well. At least it did at first.

After I switched the folder from my ssd to my hdd I noticed the indicator now had a diagonal red line through it with no explanation. It simply would no longer work.

I tried switching the folder back and still no luck even after deactivating and reactivating the Shadowplay many times.

How have your experiences been and does anyone have any suggestions to defeat the red line?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Shadowplay is not intended for multi-GPU setups, you have to disable one card if that is what you have.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I only have one GPU. The game I am talking about that I did my testing in is BF4. I use the second monitor for the browser based "battle screen" which gives me a real time view of the map and player locations. I also use it to change load outs from time to time.

If I am in full screen mode there is an awkward pause every time I click the second monitor and then again when I go back to the game.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I just made a 5 minute video with no problems on my first try with Shadowplay. SLI was enabled...

Where did you see that a card must be disabled?

A youtube video guy was reviewing it, said it was recommended by nvidia to disable 2nd card, something about not processing the streams correctly. I forgot video, he is a popular youtube BF4 channel.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have also managed to record on SLI without issues. Nvidia hasn't said there are any problems with SLI and I haven't encountered any. It just kind of worked for me right away without problems. I switched to manual mode so I could do longer videos than 30 minutes and that is by and large all I did.

One thing the op might want to try is uninstalling the drivers and GeForce expeirence and then reinstalling. Its quite possibly a bug but I suspect a reset of the drivers/tool might get it working again.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
my biggest gripe is the 4GB file size limit with Windows 7, apparently I need to upgrade to Windows 8 to be able to record more than ~10 minutes worth of high quality video :rolleyes:

and while it still would be an inconvenience, I would at least expect the manual recording to creating multiple files instead of just flat out stopping @ 4GB

granted, this is still in Beta, but for how exceptional the quality is for practically 0 performance penalty (dont see that being easy to do) I'd think my gripes would have been relatively easy to fix...

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Windows 7 file size limit is 16TB.

Edit: WTF, Nvidia put some kind of artificial limit on Win 7 users?

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I tried switching the folder back and still no luck even after deactivating and reactivating the Shadowplay many times.

How have your experiences been and does anyone have any suggestions to defeat the red line?

I've seen this a couple of times, and usually restarting shadowplay would clear it. I've even done it while ingame by alt tabbing and it always cleared the condition.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
my biggest gripe is the 4GB file size limit with Windows 7, apparently I need to upgrade to Windows 8 to be able to record more than ~10 minutes worth of high quality video :rolleyes:

and while it still would be an inconvenience, I would at least expect the manual recording to creating multiple files instead of just flat out stopping @ 4GB

granted, this is still in Beta, but for how exceptional the quality is for practically 0 performance penalty (dont see that being easy to do) I'd think my gripes would have been relatively easy to fix...

I am not sure Shadowplay is the reason you are hitting a 4GB limit. What format is the disc your Shadowplay files are being saved to in?

Edit:

I just found the explanation.

"The maximum size of the authored file is 4 GB. In Windows 8, files large than 4 GBGB are supported."

Taken from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757763(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I am not sure Shadowplay is the reason you are hitting a 4GB limit. What format is the disc your Shadowplay files are being saved to in?

Edit:

I just found the explanation.

"The maximum size of the authored file is 4 GB. In Windows 8, files large than 4 GBGB are supported."

Taken from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757763(v=vs.85).aspx

Aha, so Nvidia is using Microsoft Media Foundation.

Boo on Nvidia for using MS software. Boo on MS for not updating Win 7.