Shadow Warrior 2 - can't wait to get my hands on some Wang!

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Looks like they didn't improve the graphics any. I liked Shadow Warrior. It was more Doom-like than Doom.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Watched it for a bit. Looks really good. Just a shame it doesn't have a release date yet.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I haven't bothered to actually finish many games in a long time. Shadow Warrior was one of them.

Take my money.

Last edited:

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Finished the first game long ago. Sword-play and level design were pretty damn awesome. Weapons were somewhat unbalanced, but it was still fun to play.

Definitely will try the sequel out when it's released. :awe:

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Game looks good. Too bad youtube bitrate cannot keep up. I hope a competitor comes along to force their hand, the details in games are too much for the current bitrate.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I need to finish the first one, but it is certainly one of the recent best FPS games.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The original was one of my favorite games. Bought the remake on Day One, still haven't gotten around to playing it though. Probably buy this one on Day One too.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Looks like they didn't improve the graphics any. I liked Shadow Warrior. It was more Doom-like than Doom.
I don't know about that, it had extremely poor, linear level design, with most enemy encounters taking place in walled off arenas that only opened after you killed everything that spawned. On top of that, it basically had health regen. I found Shadow Warrior rather overrated, a wolf in sheep's clothing. Of course the new Doom could end up being the same thing.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just to throw this out there, but Shadow Warrior on Steam is -90% off right now.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I really need to go back and give the Shadow Warrior remake another shot.

It's in my Steam library, but I got bored of it really quickly. Only made it to the second or third level...does it get better?

Cyrosis

Dec 13, 2008
I really need to go back and give the Shadow Warrior remake another shot.

It's in my Steam library, but I got bored of it really quickly. Only made it to the second or third level...does it get better?
I enjoyed it quite a bit at the start, despite the poor level design, but it all got very repetitive after a while. So if you didn't enjoy the first few levels, I don't think you'd get anything out of the later content.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Ok - so those of you who've played it, what do you think?

I'm 8 hours into it. I am definitely enjoying it. It is a very good game but I can't help but feel like it was a tiny step back from the last one. I think Shadow Warrior 2013 was easily a 9.5/10 but this one is probably more like an 8/10.

I preferred the progression system, story and level design of the first game. I really enjoyed searching for secrets and that doesn't seem to work as well on the procedurally generated levels of the 2nd game.

It runs like a dream, though. A stock 4690k and 970 at Ultra preset (2560x1080 21:9) and I'm hardly ever dropping under 70 frames.

I haven't touched co-op yet so I can't comment on that.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
This i simply do not get. Having played all the Dooms (including Doom 2016) and having played Shadow Warrior (but not shadow warrior 2); I have to say Doom is definitly more doomish (when compared to Doom 3 but not compared to original Doom) than Shadow Warrior.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Anyone have the game alongside an HDR TV? I didn't know it, but I guess this is the first PC game to natively support HDR! According to DigitalFoundry, it looks fantastic. Of course, I'm curious to know what the performance impact is (if any).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I hear a lot of people mention HDR TVs and from my experience, HDR just means High Dynamic Range and is a graphical setting. Is it the same thing?

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
I hear a lot of people mention HDR TVs and from my experience, HDR just means High Dynamic Range and is a graphical setting. Is it the same thing?
The difference is that in traditionally in gaming you get "HDR Rendering" which is forcing bright lights to be darker and darker areas to be brighter in order to make everything fit within a preset brightness range of a standard display. This is done because the display chain and display itself was not designed to handle brightness levels beyond the confines of a traditional video signal. Think of it as compressing the dynamic range into a much, much smaller range.

True HDR gaming on HDR displays means that the brights stay bright and the dark stays dark. The HDR data is sent as a separate metadata stream within the video signal to be interpreted by the display. It's an extremely difficult thing to demonstrate without seeing it in person. If you record a video in HDR and play it back on a standard display, then everything will just look overly bright/washed out, but in reality, it's ****ing gorgeous. Of course, the effect will vary according to the abilities of your display.

Some LCD HDR TVs can get very bright (over 1,400 nits), but can't get very dark. OLED HDR TVs can't get as bright (800 nits), but have perfect blacks (0 nits). What looks better depends heavily upon the room the TV is used in.

Reactions: WiseUp216

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I got bored of Shadow Warrior. I liked it at first but the jokes start to get old and it's quite repetitive.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The difference is that in traditionally in gaming you get "HDR Rendering" which is forcing bright lights to be darker and darker areas to be brighter in order to make everything fit within a preset brightness range of a standard display. This is done because the display chain and display itself was not designed to handle brightness levels beyond the confines of a traditional video signal. Think of it as compressing the dynamic range into a much, much smaller range.

True HDR gaming on HDR displays means that the brights stay bright and the dark stays dark. The HDR data is sent as a separate metadata stream within the video signal to be interpreted by the display. It's an extremely difficult thing to demonstrate without seeing it in person. If you record a video in HDR and play it back on a standard display, then everything will just look overly bright/washed out, but in reality, it's ****ing gorgeous. Of course, the effect will vary according to the abilities of your display.

Some LCD HDR TVs can get very bright (over 1,400 nits), but can't get very dark. OLED HDR TVs can't get as bright (800 nits), but have perfect blacks (0 nits). What looks better depends heavily upon the room the TV is used in.

Are TVs the only ones getting this HDR feature or are monitors getting it as well? Or do they already have them? I lost touch with monitors ever since the whole G-Sync came out. I'm happy with my 1440p monitor at the moment and didn't see any reason to upgrade just for G-Sync.