Shadow of Mordor gets me raging

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The OPs, issues. I've played only a small amount of this game, not enough to really get into it. But the frustrations of these things is not uncommon in games over the years, and has lead to otherwise perfectly good games being frustrating to play to the point of just giving up.

Things like this:

It should be burned into the soul of every developer with a white hot branding iron that taking control away from players is just unacceptable. Never throw in a cut scene you cannot skip, never cram in unskipable cut scenes before hard parts of games where multiple retries are often required. Making someone watch something over and over again they cannot skip is just retarded, there's simply no nice way of actually putting that.

5 year old children can understand the frustration with that so it really is inexcusable that large dev houses full of actual grown adults can't get it right, especially with such a long rich history of games doing this in the past and pissed off gamers venting about it on forums.

It's even more irritating when this sort of thing happens in otherwise really good games.
Those cutscenes are about three to five seconds long. That's like complaining your car has to turn over before it starts...

Besides, it's kinda common sense that an unskippable cutscene is required since most people will be mashing buttons during a big fight and if you have a random captain wander up in the midst of battle, you don't want to accidentally skip the intro scene since how they look is a good baseline indicator of their strengths and weaknesses. Being able to (and alternatively, accidentally) skip cutscenes would cause unnecessary deaths when someone tries to vault over a new captain only to get thrown back into a crowd and killed.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I had a lot of fun with this game until I literally could not defeat any of the chiefs and then I gave up and played Witcher 3... and eventually gave up on that also. I attempted to play a Souls game once too... once.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Those cutscenes are about three to five seconds long. That's like complaining your car has to turn over before it starts...

Besides, it's kinda common sense that an unskippable cutscene is required since most people will be mashing buttons during a big fight and if you have a random captain wander up in the midst of battle, you don't want to accidentally skip the intro scene since how they look is a good baseline indicator of their strengths and weaknesses. Being able to (and alternatively, accidentally) skip cutscenes would cause unnecessary deaths when someone tries to vault over a new captain only to get thrown back into a crowd and killed.

No, not really. In this game, you repeatedly stumble upon the same captain throughout the maps, interrupting a fight, and you have to go through his intro every single time. One point--yeah, it's a captain. By the third time you see this guy, you really do not need, as any kind of player, to go through his same spiel about how he is going to pike your head and use your skull as wardrums when invading your homeland and raping your family. He claims that every single time. It adds nothing to the story to hear that 3 separate times in an unskippable fashion. It technically adds nothing to the story, really (but it does add to the atmosphere that is quite solid, balanced, very well-produced in this game, I should add).

It's perfectly fine to force a player through these type of scenes the first time through, but no reason to disallow skipping from the same speech over and over especially if it is never integral to the story or anything in particular. Allow the scene to pop (yeah, it's nice to know that one of those random Orcs you are stabbing is a captain), but it make it unskippable as soon as a face pops.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's not meant to add story. Anyone who has ever picked up a controller or turned on a PC can tell it's purely for atmosphere. As for skipping, go ahead and read my explanation again. Even though I can still load the game now and run through it without any difficulty, I still appreciate the unskippable cutscenes because I like knowing what I'm coming up against and would rather not accidentally skip a captain's intro because I was in the middle of a combo.

I can only imagine when people complain about something this minor, they are intentionally looking for something to complain about. I understand everyone is different and even now I have much less time to spend gaming as I did when I was a teenager, but a short cutscene isn't anything to worry this much about.

Last edited:

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
It should be burned into the soul of every developer with a white hot branding iron that taking control away from players is just unacceptable. Never throw in a cut scene you cannot skip, never cram in unskipable cut scenes before hard parts of games where multiple retries are often required. Making someone watch something over and over again they cannot skip is just retarded, there's simply no nice way of actually putting that.

5 year old children can understand the frustration with that so it really is inexcusable that large dev houses full of actual grown adults can't get it right, especially with such a long rich history of games doing this in the past and pissed off gamers venting about it on forums.

It's even more irritating when this sort of thing happens in otherwise really good games.

Exactly, makes me wonder if they even tested it for 15 minutes.

I did finish it and now I know the quirks. I also bought it awhile back on sale PS4 and just tried playing it again. Nope lol, same BS. Even after finishing it and knowing what to expect, I cant believe how many times it still gets me angry and the barrage of complaints I have. Its even worse on the controller. On the mouse, at least you can swing the camera to react faster to combat and the second chance revive (goes way to fast to react with thumbsticks). Usually I just walk away from something I dont like but I guess I keep trying to make Mordor a good game. Oh well, I should stop playing it for my blood pressures sake. Stupid developers win since I did buy two copies of it. But aint buying anything from them in the future.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
There were some racing games that force you to finish the first mission or else - games starts over from beginning - forced intro cut scene, then again forced mission.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Just finished the game and enjoyed it enough to start Lord of the Hunt. With the exception of the vary beginning when I had three captains chasing me and no runes/attributes, the bosses were a cakewalk. Once you had high focus and elf-shot all the captains could be killed with repeated head-shots or stealth kills before swinging your sword once. Once you had domination you just dominate a Captain work him to bodyguard, kill the other bodyguard, and then betray the WarChief in a one-on-one battle. One-on-one no chief could hurt you, just spirit punch them and start swinging. The key was always get them one-on-one.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Just finished the game and enjoyed it enough to start Lord of the Hunt. With the exception of the vary beginning when I had three captains chasing me and no runes/attributes, the bosses were a cakewalk. Once you had high focus and elf-shot all the captains could be killed with repeated head-shots or stealth kills before swinging your sword once. Once you had domination you just dominate a Captain work him to bodyguard, kill the other bodyguard, and then betray the WarChief in a one-on-one battle. One-on-one no chief could hurt you, just spirit punch them and start swinging. The key was always get them one-on-one.
This is why I still love this game. Even though the combat is fairly simple, you can tackle objectives in many different ways and the game doesn't try to force you down any one path.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Graphics has been brought up at least once so I guess I'm not too out of place bringing up the Hud in the manner I'm about to. You can't remove it completely. Sometimes I like to enjoy the awesome visuals of this game with no Hud to distract from the view. I haven't checked the modding community in a few months but I think some of the Hud you still can't get rid of.

Well except maybe in camera mode. But I like to run around all over Hud free. And from what I remember months ago when I last played it the Camera mode doesn't let you go over some obstacles, up ladders and wherever you can go. And maybe the Camera mode has a line or two of text that's always there I think.

----------------------------
i7 6700 3.4ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || ASRock H110M-DGS || DDR4-2133 Crucial 16gb
Toshiba HD 1tb || Cooler Master 750W || Onboard Sound || 27” Samsung Lcd 1440 res

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i loved shadow of mordor! you just gotta play it with an xbox controller - and i needed to install a mod to get camera controls to work properly (pushing left needs to move the camera left and look right, NOT look left)