Shadow of Mordor gets me raging

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
I think I have anger issues, idk many games having been getting me full tilt lol. Sooo.. Shadow of Mordor

1. The second chance, last chance whatchamacallit. They give a system where you have second chance to revive. Once I finally get the key combos down.. they give you warchief that.. gives you "No Chance"?! What in the flying fvck. It's also like Borderlands, where they give you a second chance but the damn enemy runs away. Wtf even put it in the game then?!

2. Must I watch a 5-10 second rambling cutscene from the warchief every time I die? Stop wasting my time and let me hit escape.

3. I do one of those missions to lure out the warchief. He has 3 captains by his side. I do say a shadow strike and get into battle with them. Buuuuut there are there more captains lurking about in the vicinity. So before I get into battle, I have to watch 7 intros of each captain and warchief? Fvck off

Thanks for listening to me vent. I hate when developers ruin a spectacular game with stupid shit like this. All in all I really like the combo chaining system, even more than Batman. The fast travel is really efficient too. But maaan, when I get worked up I can punch one of these devs in the face.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
And this is why some games suck. On the surface - fancy graphics. Inside - boring scripting and poor programming.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Shadow of Mordor is an amazing game with one fatal flaw: Once you learn how to beat any Warchief (regardless of strengths), the game becomes trivial. I had to personally gimp myself by only unlocking the story-related skills and only use them during the respective story missions. I also had to remove all runes from my weapons to add an extra level of fairness.

The Bright Lord DLC was pretty fun since you don't get the insta-win feature every time you use a bow and the Warchiefs could actually do some damage.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better (OP), I died every single time I encountered a particular Warchief in the beginning of the game and by the time he killed me three or four times, he started hunting me across the map. I had to learn how to kill him (even though he had no weaknesses) before I could progress through the game.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Shadow of Mordor is an amazing game with one fatal flaw: Once you learn how to beat any Warchief (regardless of strengths), the game becomes trivial. I had to personally gimp myself by only unlocking the story-related skills and only use them during the respective story missions. I also had to remove all runes from my weapons to add an extra level of fairness.

The Bright Lord DLC was pretty fun since you don't get the insta-win feature every time you use a bow and the Warchiefs could actually do some damage.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better (OP), I died every single time I encountered a particular Warchief in the beginning of the game and by the time he killed me three or four times, he started hunting me across the map. I had to learn how to kill him (even though he had no weaknesses) before I could progress through the game.

So you cheated? :p

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So you cheated? :p
No he learned how to kill him,no weakness does not equal invincible, you just have to get creative.
For me it's a great game although I still agree with every point made against it,game play wise it's no peace of art,on the contrary it's very vary basic,but it's a great stress reliever,go in kill some hordes of uruks=insta great fun.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
No he learned how to kill him,no weakness does not equal invincible, you just have to get creative.
For me it's a great game although I still agree with every point made against it,game play wise it's no peace of art,on the contrary it's very vary basic,but it's a great stress reliever,go in kill some hordes of uruks=insta great fun.

Yeah that's the problem with getting pissed off with a game, you stop thinking and start raging and then you die, die, die my darling! I need to find my inner Yoda. hmm I wonder if there's any youtube videos done by Yoda in the Tony Robbins ilk?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
And this is why some games suck. On the surface - fancy graphics. Inside - boring scripting and poor programming.

Just the opposite with Shadow of Mordor. The graphics are decent but nothing special, but what's really cool about it is the scripting and programming.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
I absolutely agree, those short cutscenes with those mini-bosses were annoying as hell. I'll already be running for my life from about 3 of them and another one of these guys would sprout up.
But that was probably the thrill of it though, because in the later stages of the game, I learnt how to use the environment against these guys. Yes, it did involve a lot of pausing the game to read up on their weaknesses one by one, but the satisfaction after killing 4 of them simultaneously while watching one of them flee from terror felt very very badass.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Thrak Dwarf-Killer, THAT BASTARD! hunted me relentlessly, lol. Well, not a warchief, but a Captain. I had that guy up to level 22 or 24 or something before I managed to take him down (think I needed one of those ambushes and a lot of help to do it). I couldn't really damage the guy by then.

I don't think I had a problem with any of the Warchiefs.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Captain, not Warchief. Sorry about that. Captains are the ones roaming around. Been a while since I played the game, but even now when I load it up, it's pretty trivial. If I remember right, it's a simple matter of vaulting over them, whack them in a few times in the back, rinse and repeat. For the ones who you can't vault over, you can just punch them or roll/dash around to their back. All in all, it's a great game and one I regularly play once a year, but there's only two or three different strategies you need to learn for the entire game.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Captain, not Warchief. Sorry about that. Captains are the ones roaming around. Been a while since I played the game, but even now when I load it up, it's pretty trivial. If I remember right, it's a simple matter of vaulting over them, whack them in a few times in the back, rinse and repeat. For the ones who you can't vault over, you can just punch them or roll/dash around to their back. All in all, it's a great game and one I regularly play once a year, but there's only two or three different strategies you need to learn for the entire game.

yeah, it's the few that you can't vault or stun with your fist that are troublesome. Other than that, it is mostly trivial. I think I killed that Thrak jerk early on, but he returned soon after and started popping up in the middle of other fights, no matter where I was. Dude could gank me from 100 yards and I couldn't do anything about it. He got credit for killing me maybe 3 or 4 times, so I just had to run whenever I saw him, lol. I finally killed him but only after suckering him into a fight with other orcs and captains. ....then he appeared in that final mission and I got angry again. :mad:

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Yep, thats what I been doing as well. Upgrade to be able to execute in 5 moves, also the one that wont break your combo if you get hit once.. and last, the one you can execute moves 2x.

Vault over them, hit them couple times and execute 2x. The ones I cant vault over, I just charge up using the minions and then execute on the warchiefs. Ofc you can mix it up with stun etc. The upgraded, continuous shadow kill (hitting X) and more elf shots is monster, helps a lot and I also use it to teleport distances faster :)

Got the flow of it and now it is pretty fun hacking and slashing hordes! I get what you mean though Stg-Flame, knowing the trick it starts to get a bit repetitive because thats the only way to handle huge hordes.

Does the 30% critical strike thing stack?

Ha I thought I was gonna get flamed for complaining, surprised so many of you agree. Guess they are legit complaints, I just deal with them now and toned down my potty mouth

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I ended up using that mind trick thing on a bunch of enemies and send them all against the captain I was trying to kill. There was just so many ways to make yourself unstoppable in this game you have to force yourself not to overuse the powers.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Here we go again, why do I continue to play this game lol. Doing one of those stealth missions, about to stealth kill the last orc to complete the mission. Instead of stealth killing him, dumbass ranger just swings his gdman sword alerting the whole camp, failing the mission. Multiple tries because of the games stupid mechanics.

Why would you put the run, climb, interrogate, dash, roll and every other control on one button the spacebar? If I am trying to do one move, it does another...

Wtf is up with the camera getting stuck at times too, when I move the mouse the camera angle barely even turns. Getting about 90+ fps and it is still laggy

Game is a gdamn shitfest sigh

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Why would you put the run, climb, interrogate, dash, roll and every other control on one button the spacebar? If I am trying to do one move, it does another...

Because consoles. Gotta stuff as many actions into one button as possible.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Oh well, uninstalled. Pissed I paid for this crap, this guy summed it up

I finally downloaded it on Steam. The controls for the PC are NUTS! Never before have I found myself yelling at my computer! "Why are you doing that?" "NO! Climb the wall!" "Why are you standing still?! MOVE!" "OMG! Why is it doing this?!" "NO! Jump DOWN!" "Why are you sneaking?! I'm not pressing the sneak button! MOVE!" "Where am I? Why can't I see?" "NO! Don't climb the wall! RUN!"

I can go on! If you are one of the developers responsible for this abhorrent control system, please post here so I can smack you upside the head!

https://www.gamedev.net/topic/672047-shadow-of-mordor-omg-why/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh well, uninstalled. Pissed I paid for this crap, this guy summed it up

https://www.gamedev.net/topic/672047-shadow-of-mordor-omg-why/

that's why you just suck it up and play these types of games with a gamepad. I gave up trying to KB&M my way through these console action games long ago. Controls on gamepad are still pretty terrible and your dude will still do random junk from time to time, but it is at least much easier to go through those button combos.

This game is basically Assassin's Creed and the Batman games and whatever else, just reskinned.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
My only main complaint with the game is how they treated the Ultra HD textures. When you set the graphics on Ultra, you only got High settings but with a rainbow colored graphical bug during lightning strikes. If you install the Ultra Texture Pack and set everything to Ultra, all it does it remove the lightning from the game.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
that's why you just suck it up and play these types of games with a gamepad. I gave up trying to KB&M my way through these console action games long ago. Controls on gamepad are still pretty terrible and your dude will still do random junk from time to time, but it is at least much easier to go through those button combos.

This game is basically Assassin's Creed and the Batman games and whatever else, just reskinned.

Agreed. The game isn't easy with a K&M. Xbox controller is the way to go in this game. I found the main game pretty easy, but the Bright Lord expansion is tough...still haven't beat it.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
It's stuff like that which makes me think that none of the developers even really played their own game and tried to complete it. Or no one tested it. It only takes a few hours of gameplay to pick up on these frustrations and not a huge amount more time to fix them.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's stuff like that which makes me think that none of the developers even really played their own game and tried to complete it. Or no one tested it. It only takes a few hours of gameplay to pick up on these frustrations and not a huge amount more time to fix them.
What exactly are you referencing? Myself, as well as thousands of others, had no issues with this game, the controls, or any of the mechanics (other than insta-win combos for every Captain/Warchief).

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
What exactly are you referencing? Myself, as well as thousands of others, had no issues with this game, the controls, or any of the mechanics (other than insta-win combos for every Captain/Warchief).

The OPs, issues. I've played only a small amount of this game, not enough to really get into it. But the frustrations of these things is not uncommon in games over the years, and has lead to otherwise perfectly good games being frustrating to play to the point of just giving up.

Things like this:

2. Must I watch a 5-10 second rambling cutscene from the warchief every time I die? Stop wasting my time and let me hit escape.

It should be burned into the soul of every developer with a white hot branding iron that taking control away from players is just unacceptable. Never throw in a cut scene you cannot skip, never cram in unskipable cut scenes before hard parts of games where multiple retries are often required. Making someone watch something over and over again they cannot skip is just retarded, there's simply no nice way of actually putting that.

5 year old children can understand the frustration with that so it really is inexcusable that large dev houses full of actual grown adults can't get it right, especially with such a long rich history of games doing this in the past and pissed off gamers venting about it on forums.

It's even more irritating when this sort of thing happens in otherwise really good games.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Mastering combat mechanics is its own reward. Stacking the right ruins and using every form of environmental weapon or damage, along with stealth mechanics, was enough for me to call the game great. You can rinse and repeat yes, but you can also mix it up. I like to use the monsters that look similar to Zul and the Rankor, shoot booze and fires, and brand their own bodyguards to work against them. I will often let the beast go so it can rampage on its own. I sometimes would have 5 or 6 Zuls and Rankor all fighting for me at the same time.

The most important ruin in the game imo, is the one that prevents you from being poisoned. Get that and you may never die. I also enjoy it when a poison throwing orc is on the periphery of the battle trying to spam me. They keep hitting their guys.

And the xbox controller is the way to go.