shadow mask vs. trinitron

Status
Not open for further replies.

paun

Nov 11, 2000
which of these crt monitor tubes is better. give me some input please. will be buying 19" monitor soon. want to make good choice. was considering hitachi cm715. heard this was a great monitor. --------thanks---------

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Rehash an old argument, but it boils down to this:

Shadow mask = superior text clarity and geometry

Aperture grille (Trinitron is Sony's name for it) = more vibrant colors and much brighter, some geometry problems are commonplace and there are two faint lines across the screen (usually only noticeable on light, even backgrounds like a white page)

I used shadow mask until I bought my 19" (see below). I love the AG colors and brightness, and the lines don't bother me at all anymore. I haven't seen the newer large screen SM monitors though.

syf3r

Oct 15, 1999

umm... aperture grille really has nothing to do with trinitron... sony trinitron is a picture tube type that was used not only in monitors, but in televisions... there are trinitron-tube monitors that are NOT aperture grille. aperture grille *does* have better quality colors and very sharp picture. the image is shot through a mesh, which is held up by a framework of wires. hence, the two horizontal lines (which you'll only really notice on light backgrounds or if you're looking right at them) are actually the shadow of the wires holding up the mesh, as the light is shot through it.

-syf3r.

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
I disagree with the previous poster. Trinitron is indeed aperture grill technology. Trinitron is simply Sony's trademark name for the technology they invented. Basically any name brand or model name with "Tron" in it uses aperture grill technology.

Never trust general statements like "aperture grill monitors are clearer and brighter the shadow mask monitors". Every unit produced is unique and, like fingerprints, no two are identical. Even the highest quality monitors occasionally don't perform as promised.

Brightness is one of the key measures of a monitors image quality. Convergence is another. A blanket statement like the one the previous poster put up is very short sighted. Maybe years ago this was true, however the technologies have improved significantly.

The Specification for brightness is called "candelas per square meter (cd/m2) or Foot-Lambert's (fl)" and typically you'll want to look for monitors with 100 candelas 30 foot Lambert's which is the English equivalent) or more. You can convert between the two systems for comparison purposes; 3.426 cd/m^2 = 1 ft.-L. You can always reduce brightness on your monitor, so in this case more candelas are always better. Check the manufacturer specifications.

Unfortunately most manufacturers do not publish brightness specifications or convergence so I recommend that you call and e-mail the technical support line of the manufacturer and reseller before you buy. First time how long it takes you to reach a human or an e-mail response and then ask them some questions about the monitor you are considering. You don't want to sit on hold; you want to talk to knowledgeable people. They aren't trained to "polish" the answers like sales reps might, but you'll get a sense for how technically competent and knowledgeable they are and how the company will treat you after the purchase.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone Peripherals Technology

http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Rigoletto

Banned
Aug 6, 2000
I never understand how people can tolerate those fuzzy pastel shadow masks, I really don't. Text on a trinitron is so much better. In fact, everything is but maybe geometry and colour purity.
I did find a clue as to brightness by looking at the wattage of the tube in the specs and estimating the screen coating. My 15" uses 85W max I think. Yes it is important in order to get proper contrast and readability in various environments.

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
Rigoletto

Here is another example of a generalization that is just not fair or true, I respect your opinion you like AG better, and that's fine. How can you say all shadow mask monitors are fuzzy? Have you evaluated every shadow mask monitor on the market thus making you an expert of the subject? I have evaluated almost every major monitor on the market, its happens to be job and your comment just does not hold water.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

j00

Sep 4, 2000
i have a 21" viewsonic p series that is shadow mask and is rock solid. no fuzzyness or anything of the sort. it's great at everything i do and far outclasses the AGs ive owned. then again it's a top of the line, but not all shadow masks are bad :)

Cpt. Duke

Oct 17, 1999
Another thing about Sony monitors that's often better than brands that use shadow mask like Viewsonic -- screen flatness. I have used some Viewsonics that are supposed to be really good (19" P series) but they are curvy as hell! I recommend going with an AG like Sony's or Mitsubishi's Diamondtron.

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
I believe that convention flat square CRT technology still has many advantages over flat-faced CRT's. Price being the most obvious. From what I have seen, the only real benefit of flat-faced monitors is some glare reduction. For me I can control glare in a number of ways. Remove light bulbs, change the position of my desk, close a window shade etc. Saving $$$ is more important to me. Another option is to purchase an after market anti-glare screen. This acts basically the same as a flat faced CRT and may save you $$ in the long run.

In general conventional CRT's tend to give sharper characters for a few reasons. They tend to have a tighter horizontal dot pitch 0.22mm, better convergence specifications and the fact that the tube is curved in two directions makes it easier to adjust focus uniformity and convergence at the factory. This is not to say every conventional monitor will provide better text, these attributes simply increase the odds of getting better text. Monitors vary model to model and lot to lot it is important to check the manufacturer specs.

The ability to display fine detail on a computer monitor involves many factors including resolution, dot pitch, spot size/shape and convergence. Convergence is one of the most important aspects of a monitor's performance. It determines how sharp the characters in your text document or spreadsheet look. Convergence has a direct effect on the monitor's apparent focus. Unfortunately, convergence is a spec that few manufacturers publish. To my knowledge none of the flat CRT brands publish convergence specs.

There is a reason that the original televisions had almost round picture tubes and that today the IMAX theaters use a domed screen. In general it is easier keep focus consistent if you project a beam onto the inside of a curved surface. Almost every monitor has better focus in the center of the screen than at the edges. This is because the beam is at right angles to the screen. The trick is to keep focus uniformly good over the entire screen.

Try this experiment. Take a flashlight and aim it straight at a wall you will see the spot the beam creates is sharp and round. Now aim the flashlight up into the corner of the wall. You will see the beam shape change to a more oval shape and spread out. In general terms this is what's happening in your CRT monitor. The flatter the surface the more the beam spreads out or defocuses. Now imagine that you are in an IMAX domed theater. If you shine the flashlight at any portion of the inside of the dome, the beam shape and size stays much more consistently focused.

Yes manufacturers have developed technology (dynamic focus circuits, etc.) that does a good job at improving beam shape and size in the corners of the screen. However no circuit or technique can make the beam 100% accurate. Again on average and because of these facts, I believe that conventional shadow mask monitors with slightly curved screens will produce a better more consistent image.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yes, I have heard from a friend that Trinitron monitors (flat screened CRTs, not just trinitron) were easier on the eyes, better for your vision. Well i used to have a 15 inch sony trinitron, and each year my contacts would go down an extra -.25 each yearly visit. Well since i got a 17 inch viewsonic shadow mask, and in the year ive had it, my vision has gone down -1.25, and now its really bad again

Gosharkss, Nov 30, 2000
Gosharkss, Nov 30, 2000
Gosharkss, Nov 30, 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.