Question SFP copper connect on the switch combo port with the speed of 100Mbps

zero1989

Sep 8, 2020
I have a question regarding to the connection of the SFP-T and switch combo port and I know this may sound silly because I have a client who actually did that just for testing.
So the question is that using the SFP-T and the speed 100Mbps causes problem when connect to the combo port. The LED shows that it is recognized but when it comes to send packets, the numbers are odd which I want to know why because I need to explain this to my client.
I can provide further information if needed.

FYI, running at 1000Mbps is working properly.

Thank you.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What do you mean "the numbers are odd"

It sounds more like you're forcing the port to runn at 100, and whatever's on the other end isn't following suit. Like if you still have the other end set to autonegotiate and there's a speed/duplex mismatch

zero1989

Sep 8, 2020
What do you mean "the numbers are odd"

It sounds more like you're forcing the port to runn at 100, and whatever's on the other end isn't following suit. Like if you still have the other end set to autonegotiate and there's a speed/duplex mismatch
It means that the RX and TX can't match as the statistic numbers show huge gap. Let's say the transmit byte numbers show 2 ~ 5 digits numbers, but the receive byte numbers show 8 digit numbers.

Regarding to what you say about forcing to run at 100, the switch that we had basically can recognize the 1G SFP Copper at the setting of 100Mbps. However, when it comes to send packets that is where the problem comes in which I mentioned above.