Seven Nations Halt U.S. Beef Imports - Mad Cow disease has hit the U.S. shores !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Well, if one is searching for a silver lining in all this...it *may* finally lower the price of beef for a while here. I remember just a few years back we were selling ground beef(80/20) at about 69-79 cents a pound and even had some sales that we sold it at 39-49/pound!:Q Ofcourse that was 5-6 years ago when I was in the grocery business. Beef now days is quite expensive. Heck T-bones and Porters were sold at 1.69/lb and 1.89/lb back then. You can't touch them for under $3/lb now though and that would be a hell of a sale.

However the price might not suddenly drop but if exports are stopped for any extended period it'll definately affect pricing.(yes - supply and demand Dave;) )

CkG

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Wouldn't you just know it. Leave it up to some stupid cow to join a terrorist cell and attack our beef industry.
Time for some new slogans to hype the fine quality and good taste of beef to offset the potential damage.

I'm Mad About Meatloaf !
or
We're Crazy for Cattle !
how about
Berzerk for Beefsteak !

Your turn.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Cows were never meant to each each other just as Humans are not supposed to eat other Humans. There is another type of disease along these lines called "Kuru" that human cannibals get. Its the same type of brain wasting disease that Mad Cow is. In short, stopping the the practice of forcing cows to become cannibals would stop the spread of this disease.

Bitdog

Dec 3, 2003
--------------------
Quote: BaliBabyDoc:
Hmm . . . animals so sickly they cannot walk are appropriate for human consumption.
Isn't it great when our elected representatives look out for our best interests?!
--------------------

Agreed.
Probably polititions were swayed by big business when
Congress considered but rejected legislation this year that would have banned the use of any "downed animal" parts for human consumption.
Would Bush eat a downer/sick cow on his ranch ? Or any politition for that matter ?
I would think not. Cat food might be acceptable for downer cows ?

The practice of feeding cattle, cattle byproducts is partially to blame for mad cow isn't it?
I've heard the disease can be tracked around by dirty shoes ?
Brittians first approach to their out break was denyal.
I hope we go right to action and nip this one in the bud.

Is there a MAD-RAT disease ? With food content deemed as acceptable for human consumption
if under ?% parts per million of bugs, rats, etc. Were sure to eat a little of everything.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
This is terrible news for me and my family personally. My father's side of the family owns a 100K+ acre cattle ranch in New Mexico. Things were JUST starting to turn around after a decade of brutal price cuts-beef prices were beginning to return to more historical levels and stay at sustainable prices. Now...this. At least he's not working in washington or wherever this cow was found but this terrifies me about how it could affect our family.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Doesn't anyone find it absolutely outrageous that when a sickly cow - which couldn't even walk - was just
slautered anyway, and while the 'testing' did happen - it didn't prevent that meat from being mixed in with
all the other meat moving through the packing house ?
Why, since it was a known fact that this particlar animal had something wrong with it, was it not cut away
from the rest of the heard and then kept in a form of quarantee until the results were back ?
If it tests results come back OK - then let it be processed, but if it is in fact a contaminated animal it should
be destroyed without contaminating a major section of the nations food chain.

Is a $200 proffit margin woth the risk of ruining a many thousand dollar value of end products ?

In my opinion this is a form of criminal negligence on the part of the processing plant as well
as a major flaw in the regulations of the USDA that would have even permitted this scenario.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
Doesn't anyone find it absolutely outrageous that when a sickly cow - which couldn't even walk - was just
slautered anyway, and while the 'testing' did happen - it didn't prevent that meat from being mixed in with
Why, since it was a known fact that this particlar animal had something wrong with it, was it not cut away
from the rest of the heard and then kept in a form of quarantee until the results were back ?
If it tests results come back OK - then let it be processed, but if it is in fact a contaminated animal it should

Is a $200 proffit margin woth the risk of ruining a many thousand dollar value of end products ?

In my opinion this is a form of criminal negligence on the part of the processing plant as well
as a major flaw in the regulations of the USDA that would have even permitted this scenario.

Yes, and those tough questions need to be addressed now, although they should have been addressed by the USDA and others when other countries were having this MadCow and other disease problems.

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

You're talking a real 200 for an imaginary million. I'd risk the worlds billions to save a few. Geex

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Drift3r may want to update Title:

Now up to 20 Countries bannong U.S. Beef.

Now 2 Herds quarantined in Washington.

Cow may have come from Canada.

Many Herds across many States may be affected.

Edit: My guess is that they may have to quarantine and slaughter every Cow West of the Mississippi both in the U.S. and Canada.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Edit: My guess is that they may have to quarantine and slaughter every Cow West of the Mississippi both in the U.S. and Canada.

Where's the swinging beef truck? I'll take a few sides of beef ...I have a big freezer:D I'm not afraid of MCD and it was likely an isolated incident and doesn't affect 99.9.....% of the beef out there. I haven't won the lottery, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a slab of beef that could be tainted....and then have it affect me as a human.

I'll pay for the shipping.:D

CkG

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Can't believe noone has mentioned this yet in these AT madcow threads:

John Titor predicted there would be madcow here. In fact he said he was afraid to eat anything his family didn't grow themself when he was here back in 2000-2001. He said that CJD (human form of madcow) was the #2 cause of death during WWIII, behind starvation, ahead of bullets & nukes.

Some things to ponder:

1) Incubation period of vCJD in humans in 10-30 years, so if that many people are dying from it by 2015, most of them already have it.
2) Incubation period in cattle is 5-10 years. Most cows in the U.S. are slaughtered before age 3, so even if they were infected the day they were born, the symptoms would never show up.
3) Out of the "downer" cows showing an obvious symptom of madcow, (surprising there are any seeing as they are almost all too young for the disease to have reached that stage) only 10% are tested.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
IMHO here are a few reasons why Buffalo meat is better then cow meat.

# Flavor -- Buffalo is the best tasting meat available. It is similar to beef, only sweeter.

# Nutrition -- Buffalo meat is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. It has a high concentration of protein, iron and amino acids.

# Heart-Healthy -- Buffalo meat has less fat, calories and cholesterol than beef, pork or chicken. You can sit down to have a buffalo steak without the guilty feeling.

# Value -- Because Buffalo meat has less fat than beef and is more nutritious, you get more of what you want for your money. You are not paying for a lot of fat that you will throw away.

# Versatility -- Buffalo can be substituted for beef in any recipe. It adds more flavor to your meals.

# Intrigue -- Buffalo are a mysterious and awesome animal. Serving an entree of buffalo will capture the attention of your guests.

# Natural -- Buffalo are not given any hormones or steroids. ( They are immune to the diseases that cows get including mad cow disease ! )

Here are places you can buy Buffalo meat from

http://www.buybuffalomeat.com

http://www.buffalo-meat-direct.com

http://www.jhbuffalomeat.com

http://www.bigvalleybuffalo.com

http://www.thefort.com

http://www.maddoxbuffalomeat.com

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Drift3r
IMHO here are a few reasons why Buffalo meat is better then cow meat.

# Flavor -- Buffalo is the best tasting meat available. It is similar to beef, only sweeter.

# Nutrition -- Buffalo meat is loaded with vitamins and nutrients. It has a high concentration of protein, iron and amino acids.

# Heart-Healthy -- Buffalo meat has less fat, calories and cholesterol than beef, pork or chicken. You can sit down to have a buffalo steak without the guilty feeling.

# Value -- Because Buffalo meat has less fat than beef and is more nutritious, you get more of what you want for your money. You are not paying for a lot of fat that you will throw away.

# Versatility -- Buffalo can be substituted for beef in any recipe. It adds more flavor to your meals.

# Intrigue -- Buffalo are a mysterious and awesome animal. Serving an entree of buffalo will capture the attention of your guests.

# Natural -- Buffalo are not given any hormones or steroids. ( They are immune to the diseases that cows get including mad cow disease ! )

Here are places you can buy Buffalo meat from

http://www.buybuffalomeat.com

http://www.buffalo-meat-direct.com

http://www.jhbuffalomeat.com

http://www.bigvalleybuffalo.com

http://www.thefort.com

http://www.maddoxbuffalomeat.com

It was before Beef of choice became the smaller easier to handle Cow. We nearly wiped out every Buffalo in North America. We can all thank Ted Turner for spending his money on righting that wrong and replenishing the Buffalo herds nearly single handedly.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
12-27-2003 U.S. Loses 90 Percent of Beef Exports

Gregg Doud, an economist for the Denver-based National Cattlemen's Beef Association (news - web sites), said Friday that the United States, at today's market level, stands to lose at least $6 billion a year in exports and falling domestic prices because of the sick cow. "We've lost roughly 90 percent of our export market just in the last three days," Doud said.

investigators have not yet found where the sick cow was born.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I heard that eating the Muscle tissue that makes up almost all cuts of Beef won't infect you with this disease, only the internal organs of the Bovine.

I hate Liver, I won't eat brains and Kidney Pie is just another horrible English Dish! Actually I'm not a big fan of beef anyway.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Item 1) Cow came from Canada

Item 2) Scientist tried to warn Agriculture Department of imminent danger
(Sacramento Bee) A Clip -

Dr. Stanley Prusiner, a neurologist at the University of California at San Francisco who discovered the proteins that cause mad cow disease, told The New York Times he warned Veneman recently that it was "just a matter of time" before the disease was found in the United States.

He said he told her the United States should immediately start testing every cow that shows signs of illness and eventually every single cow upon slaughter, the Times reported in Thursday's editions.

Prusiner told the Times that fast, accurate and inexpensive tests are available, including one that he has patented through his university that he says could add two or three cents a pound to the cost of beef.

The scientist said Veneman is getting poor advice from USDA scientists and did not seem to share his sense of urgency when he met with her six weeks ago, after several months of seeking a meeting.

Item 3) Politics. Politics, Politics: (From the LA Times) -

The discovery of "mad cow" disease in a Washington state Holstein ? confirmed Thursday by British veterinary pathologists ? has focused new attention on whether animals too disabled to walk to slaughter should be banned from the American food supply.

The animal that was tested had been flagged in the first place because it had been partially paralyzed, apparently after complications in delivering a calf, said W. Ron DeHaven, the Department of Agriculture's chief veterinarian. The cow came from a dairy farm, where its career as a milk producer was over.

Animal welfare groups argue that such nonambulatory, or so-called downer, cows are more likely to carry or succumb to infectious diseases. They are calling on Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman to bar them from meat-processing plants.

The California Cattleman's Assn., taking a position unpopular in the industry, said in November that the group supported prohibiting the slaughter of disabled cattle and encouraged the Department of Agriculture to expand its testing.

"Anything's on the table at this point," DeHaven said Thursday. Changing the way downers are handled, he added, is among "a number of things we might or might not do."

The Department of Agriculture noted this year that data from Europe, where "mad cow" disease previously emerged, indicate that downer cattle "have a greater incidence of BSE," or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the scientific name for "mad cow" disease.

The first known U.S. case of the disease was announced Tuesday, based on Department of Agriculture tests in Ames, Iowa. Samples were sent to a laboratory in England. Scientists there agreed Thursday with the U.S. analysis of its Iowa test and said they planned to conduct further tests soon.

Agriculture officials have stressed that they consider the health risk to consumers to be extremely low. The slaughterhouse that processed the diseased cow, Verns Moses Lake Meats of Moses Lake, Wash., voluntarily recalled 10,410 pounds of meat, all that was handled on the day the animal was killed.

A case of "mad cow" disease surfaced in Canada in May. That animal also was unable to walk on its own. At that point, Consumers Union urged Veneman to "at a minimum" test all downed animals for the infectious disease, which can lead to a different fatal illness in humans.

Animal rights groups estimate that of the 35 million to 40 million cattle slaughtered each year in the U.S., 130,000 to 190,000 are sent to meatpackers because they've been disabled. The organizations originally began lobbying against using downers for meat because they were concerned about the cruelty of dragging the animals in chains or carrying them on forklifts to be killed. But activists say they quickly began to worry about food safety as well.

California and several other states already ban the use of downers in some slaughterhouses. The Department of Agriculture decided three years ago to stop buying downer meat for the school lunch program because of concern about bacterial infections.

But efforts to enact a comprehensive national measure have been derailed in Congress by a few representatives, mostly from cattle states such as Texas.

In fact, on the same day that the diseased Holstein was killed, a Senate-House conference committee tossed out language in the agriculture appropriations bill that would have prevented the use of downer cows for food.

The Senate had passed the provision. The House had defeated it on a 202-199 vote.

"If we allow downed animals to be slaughtered, we are playing Russian roulette with the American food supply," said Wayne Pacelle, senior vice president of the Humane Society of the United States.

But lawmakers arguing against the measure said that keeping downer cows from market would actually erode protections ? because it is only at the slaughterhouse where animals may be inspected for "mad cow" disease.

Separate bills that focus solely on a downer-cow ban have also been introduced in both the Senate and House.

Meanwhile, just last week, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals revived a lawsuit claiming that the government's policy on downer animals does not protect enough against "mad cow" disease. The suit was filed by Farm Sanctuary, which harbors about 1,000 disabled animals in Watkins Glen, N.Y., and Orland, in Northern California. The court, in a 2-1 ruling, said Farm Sanctuary "successfully alleged a credible threat of harm from downed cattle."

The Agriculture Department rejected Farm Sanctuary's initial request in 1998 to ban downer cows from market. "There is no need to automatically condemn the carcasses," Daniel L. Engeljohn, director of analysis for food inspection regulations at the Department of Agriculture, wrote in a letter to the group's lawyer.

Food inspectors can distinguish between animals that can't walk because of disease and animals that can't walk because of injury, Engeljohn wrote, adding that barring all downed animals' meat "would have a serious economic impact."

"If you ban all downer cows from the food chain, now what are you going to do with them?" asked Jim Cullor, a UC Davis professor of veterinary medicine. "Are you going to put them in pet food? Bury them all in a toxic waste dump? You can't burn it because there are air-quality rules."

A ban is "completely fair to talk about," Cullor said. "But offer some solutions too."

The California law applies only to state-inspected slaughterhouses, which are generally small specialty operations. "There was a huge argument" about the ban as the measure was debated, said Jim Reynolds, a Visalia veterinarian who chairs the American Assn. of Bovine Practitioners.

Facilities in California that are inspected by the Department of Agriculture can still accept downer cows.

Indeed, Farm Sanctuary recently received records of about 18,000 downed animals killed at Central Valley Meat in Hanford during 2000 and 2001, according to Gene Bauston, the group's president. The documents were a response from the Agriculture Department to a Freedom of Information Act request, Bauston said.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Cliff notes:

5 tons of beef in recall distributed among 8 States including Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.

Cow apparently came from same previously infected Herd in Canada over a year ago and trying to track the rest of that Herd on where they all went.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why do we have Soylent Green for cattle and not for humans. Burial and cremation are crimes against capitalist efficiency. We would be delicious to pigs. People are so weird.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Cliff notes:

5 tons of beef in recall distributed among 8 States including Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.

Cow apparently came from same previously infected Herd in Canada over a year ago and trying to track the rest of that Herd on where they all went.

There was no infected "herd", just an affected "cow". That said, there still needs to be confirmation on where this cow comes from.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Why do we have Soylent Green for cattle and not for humans. Burial and cremation are crimes against capitalist efficiency. We would be delicious to pigs. People are so weird.

Brains Brains, I want to eat your Brains...

"It's people!"