Setup for a storage server

rohan208

May 11, 2011
Hi,

I am very new at most of this, so mobo seems to most confusing aspect.

I have built a computer in past (6 years ago), and it turned out crappy . So I figure I will try to get some help in getting started with my research.

Background:
I was initially planning on buying a NAS ~$400-500 without the HDDs, and then add 4x @TB drives. But I figured, I might as well build a storage server instead. Might be the same cost, but would be lot more upgradeable.

The system I want should:
1. Be able to support multiple outgoing HD streams via network to my HTPC.
2. Possible stream to xbox/ps3
3. 4-8 Bays for HDDs (more the merrier) + 1 for blueray/cdburner
4. Few USB Ports to transfer stuff from portable usb drive
5. SD card reader

Questions I have:
1. What are the qualities I need to look for in a MOBO that would meet all the above?
2. Any good mobo's that would be good for me?
3. Are there any "guide" / "lessons learned" articles/threads I could read up to know more?
4. If I buy a case like CoolMaster CM 690 (8 bay), what will I need from my mobo in order to be able to add 4-6 HDDs to it?
5. What CPU would be good. I dont believe I need any of the new i3/7 etc..

Assumptions we can make (feel free to correct me)/Other Info:
1. I don't think I will need a powerful/latest processor.
2. Dont think I will need more than 2gb of RAM
3. I plan to run win7 on it. However, I am comfortable with any linux distribution, if it would serve my purpose better.
4. Both the HTPC and the storage server will be wired to the same linksys router.

Answers to sticky
1. Mainly used for Backing up my photos/videos and streaming video to multiple home devices.
2. Budget: ~300-400$ (minus the 4xHDD cost)
3. Building in US
4. No brand preference.

Thanks a lot for your time. Please feel free to point me to resources or any good lmgtfy link.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
1. What are the qualities I need to look for in a MOBO that would meet all the above?
2. Any good mobo's that would be good for me?
Stick with a good brand. People seem to believe solid state caps are better for long-term reliability (or maybe it's just my impression), but I'm not certain if there's any truth to that.

3. Are there any "guide" / "lessons learned" articles/threads I could read up to know more?
4. If I buy a case like CoolMaster CM 690 (8 bay), what will I need from my mobo in order to be able to add 4-6 HDDs to it?
Well, if you want to add the most HDDs to your server/NAS, make sure you get a mobo that has 6 SATA ports. I think 6 ports is pretty much the most you'll find in a mobo.
My NAS' mobo has 5 internal SATA ports and one eSATA port. Well, price is why I ended up with that mobo, but it would have been nicer if it had all 6 as internal SATA ports.

5. What CPU would be good. I dont believe I need any of the new i3/7 etc..
Anything low-end should work just fine.

This looks kinda nice, though it only has 5 SATA ports:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...697&Tpk=brazos

3. I plan to run win7 on it. However, I am comfortable with any linux distribution, if it would serve my purpose better.
FreeNAS should be a good OS for this purpose. It's also free!

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
You shouldn't have to spend much at all on the CPU/MB/Memory. If you are buying new, definitely look for a board with enough ports to suit your need.

Personally, for what you're looking for, an Atom CPU based board plus a RAID card with 4 ports, and 2GB of memory sets you back about 150. Which leaves the rest of your budget for case, PSU, and HDDs.

Also, why would you want a bluray burner on a file server? Back-ups? Only reason I ask is something like FreeNAS would be a good option for you, but the BluRay would be worthless, as far as I know.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, put the blu-ray drive in the client machine to watch movies, and rip, and then upload to the server.

Also, a lot of the Gigabyte P35 (DS3R) and P45 (UD3R/UD3P), and some X48 (X48-DS5) boards sport 8 SATA ports, 6 from the ICH9R/10R, and 2 from the GSATA (Jmicron)/IDE controller.

If you pick up one of these boards (used, now, they're not available new to my knowledge), then try to pair it up with an IDE DVD drive, that way all of the SATA ports are available for HDs. That's what I'm doing with my storage server/WHS.