Settle a debate: Easier to take 1 test CCNA or 2 test CCNA?

Dec 26, 2007
Debate I had with a friend of mine also in Cisco stuff. What do you guys think: Is it easier to get the CCNA through the 1 comprehensive test, or through 2 (ICND1/2) tests and get the CCENT first? Why do you think one is easier than the other?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I can't imagine ever needing to take two tests. The depth of knowledge is not great enough to require more than one test. Two tests is just prolonging it and increasing the level of aprehension.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
I would think it would depend on what you consider "easier." Someone that memorizes and then spits out the test might do better with 2 because there is less to recall each time. However last I checked, those tests really require some thought and understanding and in that case one would be "easier" because it would cover everything and just get you done rather than wasting time doing 2.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I took it in 2 tests, and didnt do well on the ICND2...wish I could have done one test, to be honest.

I took the first 2 cisco classes at a community college at a regular pace, and decided Id take the first test since...I could and knew Id be able to pass it (I also required at least a CCENT or Net+ for some courses down the road and wanted to be sure I met that)

I had to take the last 2 courses independently, in one semester...I pretty much rushed through the material and then took a break due to another semester of school and was rusty when I took the ICND2 (even with a fair bit of studying)

If youre experienced and have done some regular studying, or if you took classes and did them all in a row without rushing...screw it, take one test, save a few bucks, get it over with. 2 tests is more questions and more money.

I really, really wish I had been able to do all the courses in a reasonable time frame and taken one test right away. Id probably have a CCNA by now instead of just the (essentially worthless) CCENT

melchoir

Nov 3, 2002
I did mine as a single test, from what I've read and heard is that the single test is more difficult than the two test route.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Ive heard the 2 test route is easier, not sure why. I was always told they combine to form basically the same test.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I did the two test one and am glad I did. As others have mentioned, you'll be tested on more or less the same thing regardless, but it's the same cost. It was my first ever test like this, so i was actually pretty nervous about it....taking the first half and blowing it out of the water felt good. The 2nd half was pretty hard though. Passed both on the first try, then subsequently failed the CCNP COMP exam....

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
If you are familiar with the material, a single test works great.

If you are new to the material, two tests permit you to focus on one branch of the material at a time and learn it better.

It's really an individual thing; I prefer / preferred one test. If you pass, it's also less expensive; one big test cost more than one of the little tests, but is cheaper then the two combined (or was, I haven't looked lately).

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
When I took it 3 years ago I decided to go for the 1 test route, I figured I would get less theory and more practical questions on the test. I still failed on the first attempt missing it by 2 points.