Setting up internet sharing with linksys 5port hub

Dat

Jan 14, 2000
Hi,

While awaiting my netgear rt314 to arrive, i dug up a hub a friend had lying around.
Now if i wanted to share my internet connect (via cable modem) using this linksys 5 port ethernet workgroup hub with 3 other computers, what do i need to do?

1. I have 3 machines, 2 running win2k , 1 running winMe.
2. All have network cards and cat5 cable.

I just have the hub (no software) , now my question is, can I just plug the hub into the cablemodem and then plug the other ports into my three machines or are there other considerations?

thanks

Dat

Jan 14, 2000
Yeah I am waiting on the cable router from netgear but a friend had a hub lying around so i was hoping to set it up to share inet connection while I wait.

ffwd

Oct 19, 2000
I have a 5 port hub from linksys, I run my internet through one pc as a server before it reaches the hub, I think you would need 2 nics in your server machine, one fron your cable modem and then one for your lan. Then it would work with any ICS software you wanted to use. In my case I don't need a second nic becuase the internet comes in through my USB Direcpc modem.

Dat

Jan 14, 2000
Thanks, after reading the posts, that was the only way i would have to implement it.
I had hoped that I could just hook up the hub directly to the cablemodem and then hook the hub up to all the other computers but i guess it's more involved.

Wik

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2000
Just install a second nic in one of the systems and turn on ICS on the NIC connected to your cable modem. www.computer-show.com has NICS for $6 that are very good. But by then you would have your router anyway. I can tell you though that if you use gamespy with the Netgear you will see very slow updates to the server list and the other computers in the network will loose the net untill gamespy is done refreshing. With ICS gamespy runs fine as well as using Linux or one of the floppy routers. The small home routers can't handle the large number of pings that go out using gamespy.