Setting up Infrared Receiver on PC with Harmony Home Control

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I'm trying to control my desktop with my harmony remote and decided on IR vs bluetooth. I bought this, but not I'm not sure it's what I wanted?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPI18C6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is this ONLY an extender/repeater? I thought it should work as just a receiver but now I'm not sure.

I was playing around with it yesterday and can't figure out how to get it working. I'm really lost here. Do I need some software on the computer? I tried downloading LIRC but it's a complete mystery to me. I was able to add a device on Harmony under Microsoft MCE keyboard. When I hit a key on the remote the receiver light turns from green to red so it's receiving something, but it doesn't send any command to the computer it seems. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Your best bet would probably be either a flirc receiver, which basically works with anything, or an IR receiver that carries the ehome branding, which will be automatically recognized by windows. I went through a few receivers myself before settling on an ehome model, which I was able to program into my remote as "Microsoft media center" or something like that. Technically I think the flirc is probably better because it allows you to translate any remote button press to any other command you want, but I've made my solution work well enough that I'm not looking for anything else currently.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I should just buy a flirc, was just hoping for a cheaper option but I might as well go with the easy option