Setting up a seperate network behind an existing router?

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
My landlord provides free internet access via an unsecured wireless network. I have a laptop, desktop, NAS, mediaserver and several other networked devices. What I'd like to do is setup my own wired network using a router. I would then have my wireless AP running in client mode to connect the router for my wired network to the unsecured wireless network to provide internet access to my network.

I'm a novice when it comes to networking and am concerned about potential problems with "double natting". Would this setup work or are there better alternatives? My main concern is having my wired network secure from others (mainly the landlord) who may be connected to the unsecured wireless. We live in a relatively secluded wooded area so unless someone is sitting in the woods with a laptop there probably won't be anyone on the network other than myself and the landlord (who lives in another residence on the property).

blade47

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Thanks, that article answered all of my questions. It's pretty much what I was planning to do. Just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. :)