Question Setting Temp Target Lower Than 75°C

SandShriner

Aug 23, 2022
Hi,

The question is in the title:

Is there any way to set a temperature target of lower than 75°C ?

I have an Asus TUF FX516 laptop with and RTX3070. Tried many utilities as GPU TWEAK 3, MSI Afterburner and ZOTAC Firestorm, but failed to achieve that goal.
Tried even nvidia-smi.exe, same result. Not interested in tweaking Vbios/flashing/HW modding solutions etc...

Thanks for all who even try to help.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Crack it open and use better paste or a graphite pad.

SW controls are ineffective when it comes to temps and they throttle the CPU/GPU to get to those temps you're setting and thus performance goes down.

SandShriner

Aug 23, 2022
Crack it open and use better paste or a graphite pad.

SW controls are ineffective when it comes to temps and they throttle the CPU/GPU to get to those temps you're setting and thus performance goes down.

Thanks for trying to help. This solution seems like a really hardcore one. I am still not in that level of expertise.
I understand that fps may go down, however I can tolerate that and that is why I am searching for a software solution.
I can get max temp to 75° with GPU TWEAK 3, and it really does not go further than 75° (except hot point).
There must be a software solution out there that is able to crank it down to 70°. Awaiting more replies.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
It's simple.

Remove the screws from the bottom.
Remove the screws from the heat spreader and any fan harnesses.
Clean the CPU/GPU and put pads or paste on and reverse the process.
Power up and use hwinfo to monitor the temps.

SandShriner

Aug 23, 2022
Thanks for the encouragement, however I am still seeking another solution.
I might become a frequent visitor in these forums if a working solution (within parameters) will be given.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, I got sick of my ADL laptop running hot and finally cracked it and looked at the paste. Being that the system is only 6 months old I expected the OEM application to last a bit longer. I found dried and crusty paste to my dismay. Removed all of it and put the graphite in its place as I've done before. Now, it's just a matter of going on with using it and not having to think about the thermals becoming an issue again.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ You have evidence that exceeding 70C causes crashing? I'd think drivers or game bugs were more likely.

It's your hardware, but I don't pay more for a higher tier GPU just to strangle it, would far sooner improve the TIM as already suggested by others, then if I set an upper limit it would be closer to 85C.

SandShriner

Aug 23, 2022
^ You have evidence that exceeding 70C causes crashing? I'd think drivers or game bugs were more likely.

It's your hardware, but I don't pay more for a higher tier GPU just to strangle it, would far sooner improve the TIM as already suggested by others, then if I set an upper limit it would be closer to 85C.

I do not have strong evidence for that except the probability. However, crashes do not occure when GPU is on lower tempertures.
Recently I uninstalled the Asus Armoury Crate app and now the GPU does not crash. Maybe that's the reason for the crashes.
However, I would still want to set a lower GPU temperature target than 75degC.

Reven Das

Sep 16, 2022
Why don't you try out some cooling pads? They will definitely help you achieve your desired temperature range. Generally, cooling pads help reduce the average temperature by 6-7 degrees depending on the condition.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Have you tried Nvidia Inspector batch files to lock voltage and clocks?

Code:
SET VOLT=793000
SET GPU0=-lockVoltagePoint:0,%VOLT% -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,236 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,-250 -forcePState:0,0 -setPowerTarget:0,72 -setTempTarget:0,0,80
nvidiaInspector.exe %GPU0%

I run this batch file for my 3080 which locks its voltage to 0.793 mV and its clockspeed is 1770 MHz core, 9250 MHz memory. I run another batch file or click revert on MSI Afterburner to go back to auto. I still haven't spent a lot of time tweaking this for the 3080, but power draw drops by about 50-70W in game while losing a small amount of performance.

This should work fine on a notebook, since I use batch files on my old Macbook Pro; the only way I can use the GT 650M without throttling.