SETI Institute NEWS

SirUlli

Jan 13, 2003
The SETI Institute is pleased to announce that DR. Jill Tarter Ph.D
Director, Center for SETI Research of SETI Institute
was selected by the editors of TIME magazine as
one of the world?s 100 most ?influential and powerful people.?

Dr. Jill Tarter

Full Story at Seti Institute

Dr. Jill Tarter was chosen in the ?Scientist and Thinker? category by the editors of TIME magazine, for her leadership role in the scientific search for evidence of life on other worlds, and for her efforts to promote scientific literacy among youth, particularly girls and young women.

SETI Researcher Named to Top 100

Sir Ulli

Unforgiven

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
id personally like to nominate my mentor Smoke to that list as well :) he's definately more influential than 99% of other people on this earth!!!!!!!!

:beer: for you Smoke

SirUlli

Jan 13, 2003
"I have the best job in the world," wrote Tarter. "That's a pretty bold statement, and one I've repeated often throughout my 30-year career as a SETI scientist, for there has never been a day when I've ever thought about doing anything else. What could be more thrilling than the search for a sentient, technological civilization beyond our solar neighborhood?

Tarter has devoted her life to the science of detecting intelligent, technological civilizations through searches of the electromagnetic (radio and now optical) spectrum, a discipline within the growing field of astrobiology. "I became 'hooked' on SETI", she said, "when I realized that I lived in the first generation of human beings that could try to answer the old and fundamental question "Are We Alone?" by doing experiments, instead of relying upon beliefs."

Dr. Jill Tarter
Profile: Jill Tarter

The inspiration for the main character of Carl Sagan's novel Contact," Jill Tarter holds the Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI at the SETI Institute (SETI is the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence).

Tarter attended Cornell University, earning a bachelor of engineering physics degree with distinction. She earned a master's degree and a Ph.D. in astronomy from the University of California at Berkeley. Her major field of study was theoretical high-energy astrophysics.

As a graduate student at Berkeley, she became involved in SERENDIP, a small commensal search for radio signals from extraterrestrial civilizations using the Hat Creek Observatory 85-foot telescope. After completing a Nuclear Regulatory Commission resident associateship at NASA's Ames Research Center, Tarter joined the newly formed SETI Program Office at Ames.

In 1984 she helped found the non-profit SETI Institute in Mountain View, CA. Tarter served as the project scientist for NASA's SETI High Resolution Microwave Survey (HRMS) until its termination by Congress in 1993. Today she heads the SETI Management Group at the SETI Institute.

Tarter is currently the project leader of the Allen Telescope Array, the Institute's innovative, next-generation radio telescope that will come on line with 32 dishes late in 2004.

Allen Telescope Array

Best Job in the World: Jill Tarter

Sir Ulli

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Best JOB in the WORLD??? Just think if we got PAID to setup machine after machine to as Jill put it "detecting intelligent civilizations"... That would be nice.