SETI crunchers

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
I'm sure someone has posted something like this before but I was thinking about this the other day and decided to ask the community. What's your reason for crunching SETI and not some other project whose results will have more immediate effects? There are other projects such as Folding that seem to have an end-game closer in sight.

I never could come up with a really satisfying answer, but I think it's just my interest in the stars. It would be awesome to think I helped out in discovering extraterrestrial intelligence. On the same token though it'd be awesome if I helped out with discoveries about cancer. I think I'm just trying to justify doing SETI to myself and would like to hear why others crunch for it.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
To me, it's like fishing.
I enjoy fishing.

I too like the stars, astronomy has always interested me.
No one knows if any of these projects will definitively lead to real world answers, some seem more likely and some less.
I didn't get into DC for that. Sure I've crunched some Rosetta and some F@H but I always come back to Seti.
Over ten years now, not long in terms of the universe but a long time in terms of the science of DC.

ochadd

May 27, 2004
SETI is interesting. It's the one question I would want answered in my lifetime. If the world finds hard proof that there are other intelligent species out there every thing will change.

Medical research could potentially add a few years onto my lifetime but as Dennis Leary said, "Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis f**king years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!?"

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Lol ;)

I run SETI because it's interesting & because like ochadd I think it's one of the ultimate questions, I want to be a part of it's answering, oh & it's the only way I can help 'explore' space :).

I also run DPAD & F@H.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Because TAS told me too. :)

And I will always hold a special place for SETI, as it was my first project when I started DC.