Set my WIRED destop to have the most bandwith?

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Short and sweet. Wife watches ROKU in livingroom wirelessly, and my ping goes to shit on my wired desktop direct from router. Any way I can set my PC to have the MOST bandwidth out of 2 wireless (her laptop and ROKU) and my PC?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
What router do you have? Some routers support bandwidth throttling by port or device.

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
What router do you have? Some routers support bandwidth throttling by port or device.
Westell Versalink 7500. I found this on a Roku forum:

"You can access the bitrate screen by pressing Home 5 X, RW 3 X, FF 2 X. There you can set the stream the Roku will use." but will have to wait until she's not watching it to try it.

I would like to block the port altogether when I want to game, just need to figure out which port is used by the Roku, which according to some quick research seems to be port 80.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
There is a hidden menu in the roku you can use to set the bandwidth manually, have you tried that?

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
I would like to block the port altogether when I want to game, just need to figure out which port is used by the Roku, which according to some quick research seems to be port 80.

Obviously there are technical solutions for blocking the device when you want to play games, and this is a tech message board so the topic is relevant, but why wouldn't you just ask your wife not to stream to the device when you're playing a game?

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Sometimes the easiest answer is RIGHT on front of your face :)

Good advise seepy83...I have and she has complied when asked...it's just that I want her to be able to do what she wants and I do what I want at same time. This whole marriage thing is a compromise, so I was just trying to make it so neither of us lose.

Did that make any sense at all? Lol...it did when I was typing it, and now...not so much :p

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Get a router with QOS and set your IP to a higher priority than hers.

Can also be accomplished with a cheap linux server if you have a old machine kicking around.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Get a router with QOS and set your *Port* or *MAC* to a higher priority than hers.

Can also be accomplished with a cheap linux server if you have a old machine kicking around.

Most home-oriented routers suck for QOS. Even enterprise level stuff is hard to accomplish something like this. It only really works well when queues are filling (that is hundreds of transactions per second, think 100 person call center), something that isn't happening when the WAN link is starved. Quick easy fix? Upgrade teh WAN.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You probably will end up that your games will do very little better and the movie watching will be choppy.

If gaming is really your livelihood, and live will be intolerable with ""lagging in the killing"" :hmm:, then get a second Internet connection just for the gaming computer.

:cool:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have friends with a household on Comcast 16/2 cable, and they have multiple users streaming video and playing online games at the same time with no problems.

I hooked them up with a TrendNet 652BRP v1.0 some time ago, it has a fast CPU and plenty of RAM, and it works well. Also supported by DD-WRT (v1.x), but I haven't flashed it, it seems to be working well as-is, and doesn't often need a reboot. This one has an Atheros chipset, but the newer v2.x units are RealTek, and not as good.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
doesn't a router provide each node with its own broadcast domain? I don't get how bandwidth can be an issue here.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most home-oriented routers suck for QOS. Even enterprise level stuff is hard to accomplish something like this. It only really works well when queues are filling (that is hundreds of transactions per second, think 100 person call center), something that isn't happening when the WAN link is starved. Quick easy fix? Upgrade teh WAN.

I agree most home routers do suck for this, but not all. Thats why running your own server/router would be optimal. A old $50 PC with linux on it and a few NIC's would get the job done.

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Get more bandwith from your ISP then?
On Frontier (SUCKS) DSL I don't understand what it has to do with anything, but since we live far away from "server"...like the end of the line, we had to drop down to 1.5 from 3.0 because router/modem "combo" was going out all the time. Did this at advise of service man that came to house. I wish we got FIOS in Blythe, but I doubt it will ever happen :(

Router has had NO problems (other than slower downloads) since we dropped it down to 1.5 and they gave us a month free for our trouble.

CDC Mail Guy

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
You probably will end up that your games will do very little better and the movie watching will be choppy.

If gaming is really your livelihood, and live will be intolerable with ""lagging in the killing"" :hmm:, then get a second Internet connection just for the gaming computer.

:cool:
I actually wondered if I COULD add another router just for wireless, just hook it up to another empty phone jack in the house, but I would have to get a second line for that, huh?

AT any rate...she just doesn't watch the roku when I'm gaming...that is working for now. Thanks to all for the advise, and has been an interesting topic I am sure :)