service process

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Since I reformat and clean install XP I am curious how many service process is on your system right now? I have 33 services I don't know if they are too much?

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, 33 running processes is not a lot. In fact 40-50 (I have 44 on my main rig) is probably average. As long as your peak commit charge doesn't get close or exceed the amount of installed system memory you're fine.

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
I only have 18 processes running on system startup. That includes NOD32 AntiVirus system. I like to keep the amount of services I have running on system startup to a minimal

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
How do you re-enable a service that is stopped---specifically the dns client---when I go run---msconfig---and click the services tab---the dns client is checked but shows as stopped.

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
How do you re-enable a service that is stopped---specifically the dns client---when I go run---msconfig---and click the services tab---the dns client is checked but shows as stopped.

You don't use msconfig to enable and disable services. You go to Start Run and type services.msc and click ok. Enable and disable services from there. Set the DNS client service startup type to automatic.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Thank you Link 19.

Sadly, window help was worthless on the subject---but what we expect from microsoft.