Service Database Locked?

UNLTuba

Aug 23, 2000
I'm trying to reinstall my digital camera so I can view the pictures I took, but for some reason I keep getting an error message saying that my service database is locked. Why might this be and how can I fix it?

Also - to check the problem - I'm unable to connect to the logical disk management service.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It means that the service control manager told a service to either start or stop, and that service hasn't reported back to the SCM yet.

Look for a service hung in the "Starting" or "stopping" state. If it's nonessential, set the startup for the service to disabled and reboot.

But since you can't use the GUI to set the service to disabled, since the database is locked, you'll have to do it through the registry.

go to hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\servicename and set start=4.

UNLTuba

Aug 23, 2000
How do I know if a service is "stuck"? Once I know how to do that, how do I know which one is stuck?

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: UNLTuba
How do I know if a service is "stuck"? Once I know how to do that, how do I know which one is stuck?

Open services control panel (or computer management, under W2K), and look for a service with state "starting" or "stopping"

UNLTuba

Aug 23, 2000
OK - weird. The error just magically went away and I didn't do anything. Oh well - thanks anyway.