Server room tour

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Very cool. interesting accent, you sound scandinavian? French canadian? ...and the beard is looking sharp. Also I didn't see a static wide shot of the front, maybe a pan.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha yeah French Canadian. English is actually my second language. And yeah guess I could have added a pan, I thought of it then forgot to actually do it when editing. I may make more videos on it at some point though, I do want to redo the battery stuff some day.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Nice, added a like on your page and bookmarked on my ATOT folder. What kind of data BTW? ;)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
very informative and a good change from the usual stuff posted in these forums!! Thankx for letting us have a little glimpse of your life!!

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Nice home server setup. It's not even really a home server because it looks like something you would see in the enterprise/commercial space. Now that I watched your vid I'm kind of curious what you do with your server. What do you use it for?

Kinda ot but since Thebobo mentioned it already I also like your accent.:)

Reactions: Thebobo

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm a bit of a data hoarder so lot of it is just downloaded content from entertainment stuff, to things like programs, pictures, etc, but lot of it is code, dev/test environments, VMs for misc purposes. I also host my own local email and use fetchmail to grab from internet servers. I run my own local DNS as well, and lot of stuff of that nature, basically a smaller scale version of a corporate network I guess. Essentially it's my own little cloud. Instead of using cloud services for stuff I just host it all locally. I also host a UO game server, so got a VM for that as well. Really lot of random misc stuff, that I sometimes forget about myself lol. It just runs and does it's thing haha.

I eventually want to upgrade my VM setup though, right now I use ESXi free which is kinda limited. I'd like to look at something where I can do live migrations and stuff (without the expensive licensing). I know qemu-kvm can do it but there's not really lot of good front ends for it. I think Proxmox is the closest thing. Been meaning to play with it some time.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know what most of your post means but it sounds pretty cool.haha I was thinking about setting up an IRC chan with a dcc to share some home videos with friends. Could a server like yours host something like that?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah can't see why not. Can host pretty much anything you want really. Only thing that's kinda annoying is most ISPs don't allow servers (public facing) so you can't host websites and stuff, but they usually don't care too much about game servers and other stuff. IRC would probably be fine. You do need some kind of dynamic DNS name though like dynu or no-ip. In my case I do have a public web server that I lease and host all my public facing stuff on, an also host DNS, so I just have a SSH script that connects to it once in a while to update my home IP. Similar to what those 3rd party services do I guess, but without having to rely on one.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The accent sounds like it has a hint of Scots in it. I hear that a lot with Canucks, but not in France French speakers.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Nice dude, my "Data Center" at home consists of a HP microserver gen8, poe switch, fitlet2, and two AP's. Everything I usually use is at our real data centers. Luckily I have gig fiber through fios, so it's as if I am there anyway 8).

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Haha yeah French Canadian. English is actually my second language. And yeah guess I could have added a pan, I thought of it then forgot to actually do it when editing. I may make more videos on it at some point though, I do want to redo the battery stuff some day.

i thought only quebec spoke french?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yes, it does! PM me if you want one, Red!

ESXi 5 is EOL now, though. Time to upgrade to 6.5 :)

Hard to upgrade since there's just one host so I have no where to move the VMs to, I want to eventually find a better solution that is more open source friendly and have 2 hosts. Right now it's a pain to manage it as I need to use a VM just to use the admin console. Going to look into Proxmox or something but have not really gotten around to experimenting with it. When I first tried it, it had lot of weird quirks but it might be better now.

i thought only quebec spoke french?

Nah lot of people in Canada do. Though it might be more prevalent in the north.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
How is it that your posts don't have an accent?

It's like I don't even know you.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well this video took off, I went from 70ish subs to over 140 in a few days.

Got a notice to pickup something at the post office, think it's my Play button plaque. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's a picture of the play button. Such is the life of Canadians :awe:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Probably going to get off vmware completely at some point. It's a pain because the client does not support Linux. Need to use a VM just so I can manage my VMs. Counter productive. Going to eventually try Proxmox again and see if it's decent. Failing that I'll do qemu-kvm and just find ways to automate some of it, as lot of it is very manual still, but once I figure out how to set it up it is pretty powerful, can do live migrations and stuff.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The Client as you know it is dead (and has been for a while). The client is now HTML5.

Viper GTS