Seriously considering going from GTX 580 to Radeon 7970

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I switched from 580 sli and feel its worthy, but the big thing in my mind is that AMD needs to prove that they're doing what they said at CES -- improve their software development. They need to make crossfire available closer to release dates and such, bf3 took 2 weeks longer than it should have. Now they said they intend to fix that, and i'm going to hold them to it.

Performance wise, i'm noticing across the board increases in all games compared to 580 sli, except in witcher 2, wow, and swtor. Wow and swtor play about the same, but those games are CPU limited. Witcher 2 ? I dunno. I'm looking into it. Other than that i'm happy. The cards are sick when overclocked and at 1150+ gpu clock they really stomp 580s. And really whether you are team green or team red (or just don't care like me) this is good for everyone -- AMD releasing good GPU's will put pressure on nvidia and foster competition and better pricing. Everyone wins, right?

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
As a current 6970 cfx user I would say stick with nvidia. Amd has lost me for life due to the driver fiascos when every new game comes out. BF3 still crashes with cfx enabled

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sold my 6950 flashed to 6970 xfire system in November.

Planning a new rig soon.

I had 0 problems with crossfire.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
One more thing adam, a better vsync / microstutter fix is coming and it will be in the WHQL catalyst 12 driver. I've used preview driver 12.2 and while I can't link it, every game that previously had slight stutter is fixed with that driver (without having to use MSI afterburner)

Mar 10, 2006
yah so? Just proves my point.

You have to be insane to upgrade from a gtx 580 to the 7970. YON'T NOTICE A SINGLE DIFFERENCE.

Unless you got a specific reason for one card over another, its a complete foolish move to switch.

hehe, but my insanity got you SLI!

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Huh , i upgraded from 580 sli to 7970 xfire and definitely notice a difference. Maybe at 1080p you don't notice but my bf3, metro 2033 and crysis 2 numbers are all signifigantly faster than 580 sli.

Maybe upgrade is the wrong word, I wanted to use those 580s in my 2nd PC. But yeah, definitely notice a difference at 2560 resolution......batman and bf3 are both signifigantly faster. But I also oc my 7970s, and i'll say one thing...once you get 1150+ gpu speed on the 7970s they scream. They scale ridiculously, ridiculously well with oc'ing.