Seriously, are people THAT BAD at math?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Without even reading what you wrote. The Answer is YES.

I always try to make it easy for cashiers by giving them change that will give back quarters instead of pennies and dimes. It usually confuses them like no other. And by chance they always give me less then what they should.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I can barely remember how to do even basic algebra anymore. I'm 6 years off from any Math-type course in college and I'm a B.A.Communication ... Funny thing is I got something like a 650 in Math and much less than that on Verbal for the SATs back in '93-'94. Haha I hate tests.

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
When I was in highschool Algebra was the advanced math class. Do people really think that you are gonna have to know this stuff in the real world. What is the percentage of people that use calc, trig, algebra, stats, everday as part of a job?

I can figure out tax, and percentages off. That is really about all you need in everyday life.

I sure as hell am not gonna sit at home and try to figure out the ratio of how much my door swings open for fun!!

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Tyler
We've got all these threads on math lately with people asking questions on subjects that I thought people were supposed to learn in junior high school.

Stuff like how to compute sales tax, or if -1=-x and 1=x are equivelant. And they're not all by the same person, either, there's at least 3 different people psoting these threads.

I mean, I don't know what to say... how can you not be able to figure out sales tax?

i guess their not asian.

:)

SammyBoy

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
Americans are stupid. Most people are stupid. I'm stupid, but I aint stupid at math.

Nocturnal you're a dumb butt. Google SHOULD laugh at you if you ask how to calculate sales tax. You deal with it every single day for the love of god. How about tipping. Jeebus i hate people. They all deserve to be smacked. Who's first?