Seriously, are people THAT BAD at math?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
We've got all these threads on math lately with people asking questions on subjects that I thought people were supposed to learn in junior high school.

Stuff like how to compute sales tax, or if -1=-x and 1=x are equivelant. And they're not all by the same person, either, there's at least 3 different people psoting these threads.

I mean, I don't know what to say... how can you not be able to figure out sales tax?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I can figure out sales tax...it's called a calculator, and if i don't have one, i can figure it out.

Trig, Geometry, Algebra, Calc or the like...forget it. I learned it for the tests and then forgot it cause i don't use it.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
If you take the graph of 1/x and revolve it around the x axis, the solid that it makes with a base at any X>1 and the tip extending into infinity has a finite volume and an infinite surface area. You could fill it with water but never paint it.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i can do the basic stuff, but i got Cs in calculus in college so don't come to for that :p

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There are several constants among most members in this forum.

Among them, they will be too lazy to do homework and have horrible problems with social ineptitude.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TheEvil1
If you take the graph of 1/x and revolve it around the x axis, the solid that it makes with a base at any X>1 and the tip extending into infinity has a finite volume and an infinite surface area. You could fill it with water but never paint it.

nor could you ever actually build gabriel's horn, so I wouldn't worry about painting it.

Anyway, that's not really the point of this thread.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
You know what's funny? My sister has an MBA (business finance) and she is lost without her 10-key. We play hearts, scrabble, whatever deals with addition. She always screws up the score, LMAO.

(on the 10-key, you better back out of the room because of all the smoke from her going so fast...)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
People can be clueless about anything. It's only natural that some people are clueless at math.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Tyler
We've got all these threads on math lately with people asking questions on subjects that I thought people were supposed to learn in junior high school.

Stuff like how to compute sales tax, or if -1=-x and 1=x are equivelant. And they're not all by the same person, either, there's at least 3 different people psoting these threads.

I mean, I don't know what to say... how can you not be able to figure out sales tax?

What surprises me more is how many people cannot differentiate between "your" and "you're", "know" and "no", etc. This is simple grammar, and people are clueless when it comes to the written word.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Marshallj

What surprises me more is how many people cannot differentiate between "your" and "you're", "know" and "no", etc. This is simple grammar, and people are clueless when it comes to the written word.

I would agree with you. I don't capitalize all the time, nor use correct punctuation, but simple grammar and spelling isn't that hard.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
Originally posted by: Marshallj

I would agree with you. I don't capitalize all the time, nor use correct punctuation, but simple grammar and spelling isn't that hard.

i believe most people who mess up things like "your you're" incorrect actually know the difference.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
so whats your point mr. math genius? :p

its the real world and a lot of people are really bad in a lot of areas but excel in others...

just because we are good at math and with computers doesnt mean eveyone has to be..even with simple math calculations..

if that was the case everyone would be equal and we wouldnt have such interesting stories about human stupidity...which would mean the forums would have to shut down!!

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I highly doubt that anyone unable to calculate a 10% tax on a 110$ purchase can excell in any way at anything.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know about math skills, but the level of reasoning I see is here pretty pathetic. It seems very few people examine their assumptions or have unlearned all the spew they've been taught. Few people seem to understand that they don't really know anything.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: dighn

I would agree with you. I don't capitalize all the time, nor use correct punctuation, but simple grammar and spelling isn't that hard.[/quote]

i believe most people who mess up things like "your you're" incorrect actually know the difference.[/quote]

If they knew the difference, then why would they willingly misspell a word? Wouldn't it be just as easy to spell it correctly?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
*raises hand sheepishly*

Um...I failed high school algebra twice. Really. I went to summer school for the same class twice too. :eek:

Ironically, every other class INCLUDING Accounting, I had an 85 or better average. Go figure. :disgust:

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: TheEvil1

well you could if you had an awful lot of paint!!!

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
so whats your point mr. math genius? :p

its the real world and a lot of people are really bad in a lot of areas but excel in others...

just because we are good at math and with computers doesnt mean eveyone has to be..even with simple math calculations..

if that was the case everyone would be equal and we wouldnt have such interesting stories about human stupidity...which would mean the forums would have to shut down!!

Agreed. My buddy in college is really bad at math, he barely pass Alegbra. He is making more cash than a lot of senior level programmers. He sells plastics to Nokia, Oakley, etc.

My other friend was in the same situation and ended up being a doctor.

My cousin is going to get his Doctrate in Mathematics at UCLA but I doubt he is going make as much as my two friends.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Listen, notfred, basically not everyone is as fortunate as you to have such a great brain. People either did not learn how to calculate tax, or perhaps they forgot? Why do you have to come here and mash them just because they don't know? The internet is a place to get help, right? I mean how many times have you used google to search for something? God forbid one day google tell you that you're stupid for searching for something that you possibly SHOULD know.

To me it sounds like you should take a step back and step away from the forum for a while. Maybe taking a break will help. When you come back you won't get so upset when someone asks a simple math question.

Just an idea.

Aug 23, 2000
Charlie's train left the station in New York and was traveling west at 80MPH.
George's train left Chicago and was traveling east at 90MPH. where will they meet?

The answer i put on a test.
They will meet in a big train wreck.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
i may be generalizing, but it seems like the level of math taught in schools are low, college is exception however.

when i moved to the US from korea, math was easy as hell, as i was about 3 yrs ahead of my class and i noticed that schools emphasized calculator utilization for simple tasks as well, which was frowned upon back in asia.