serious computer problem

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
last night, i shut off my computer as i normally do (its in my room, so i turn it off so its quiet), and it turned off normally, i didn't notice any problems. however, today, when i tried to turn it back on, i received the following error message when windows loaded:
STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writeable.
i tried restarting the computer several times, in safe mode and in last known good configuration, none of which worked. however, on one of the times when i turned it on, after the bios detected the drives, while it was in the process of reading from the c drive i got an error that said, essentially, that my system boot disk was bad, and to enter a boot disk and press enter.
now, i'm planning on RMA'ing my ram (ive had some system crashes that seem to be related to ram, and since i have a lifetime warranty, i'll rma it).
however, what the hell is going on here?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Are you overclocking at all? If so, turn everything back to factory settings. Then, you can start by putting only the essential parts you need to run your computer; motherboard, ram, cpu, hdd. See if you get the error again. If you do, try switching out your stick of ram for another one. Test it in another machine if at all possible.

Do you have an anti-virus software? Try scanning for a virus.