News "Seresto flea collar should be recalled after 2,500 pet deaths" - House Committee report

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
For anyone with pets, a major FYI:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/serest...r-should-be-recalled-fleas-ticks-report-says/
The popular Seresto flea-and-tick collar should be recalled following research showing the roughly $70 device poses risks to pets and their owners, according to a new congressional report. The findings link the collar to almost 100,000 incidents and 2,500 pet deaths.

I just ordered two of these collars for my dogs earlier in the week, with them being scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

I'm going to just return them just to be safe, as the incident risk is much higher compared to other available collars. Apparently the product is not allowed to be sold in Canada due to safety concerns:

https://oversight.house.gov/sites/democrats.oversight.house.gov/files/2022.06.15 ECP Seresto Staff Report FINAL.pdf
in 2016, Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) concluded—based on a review of U.S. incidents and toxicology studies—that the collar posed too great a risk to pets and their owners to be sold in Canada. PMRA expressed great concern over the “number and severity” of U.S. animal incidents linked to the Seresto collar.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Hmm. 2500 deaths linked to them but over 25 million sold. Tragic for the ones that were affected, but it's a terribly insignificant number, given how many are out there.
Going to have to have some more info on this, it's not bothered my dogs for 4 years now.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hmm. 2500 deaths linked to them but over 25 million sold. Tragic for the ones that were affected, but it's a terribly insignificant number, given how many are out there.
Going to have to have some more info on this, it's not bothered my dogs for 4 years now.
If your pets haven't had any issues from it for 4 years, you likely are fine.

But since my pets haven't used it before, and based on what I saw in the report, I'm just going to play it safe and see what happens concerning the product in the future before considering using it.

The part of the report that really caught my attention (besides the amount of reported incidents) was this:
A 2015 EPA investigation found that “Seresto ranked #1 by a wide margin” in terms of total incidents and “Death” or “Major” incidents among flea and tick products. EPA found that, adjusted for sales figures, the Seresto collar had nearly three times the rate of total incidents, and nearly five times the rate of “Death” or “Major” incidents, as the second most dangerous flea and tick product. The collar had nearly 21 times the rate of total incidents, and over 35 times the rate of “Death” or “Major” incidents, as the third most dangerous product.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
If your pets haven't had any issues from it for 4 years, you likely are fine.

But since my pets haven't used it before, and based on what I saw in the report, I'm just going to play it safe and see what happens concerning the product in the future before considering using it.

The part of the report that really caught my attention (besides the amount of reported incidents) was this:
Agreed, that's an eye-grabbing number, until you get to the fact that the numbers are very, very small, so even a significant percentage "more" is still a pretty small amount. You can double 1 and it's still only 2, right? It's a 100% increase, though.

But I understand folks reading that and being wary.