• Moderate- For

• Moderate- Against

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
What does everyone think about sequestration. I am very much for it but I expect it not to go through. Ultimately I think it is the best way to achieve cuts and it allows each side to blame the other thus allows for hard cuts allowing for neither side to suffer the political fallout for this cutting. I really hope any talk of repealing them is just that (talk).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/19/us-usa-debt-congress-idUSBRE86I0RZ20120719

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
When push comes to shove; they will come up with the same type of language to kick the can down again.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Ironically, the "drastic" cuts in the sequestration package are less than 10% of the annual deficit - completely meaningless. The question now is whether the problem (debt) can ever be solved. If not, maybe we are better off just spending more and more on hookers and blow before defaulting. Otherwise, maybe we should get real and do something serious instead of screwing around.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I want government spending increases, not cuts. I'm all for cutting military spending as it's an inefficient use of government resources, but that should be replaced by other spending.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"We are known for a lot of dumb things up here. But this sequestration concept was really the dumbest," Republican Senator Lindsey Graham declared on Tuesday.

Kick big gov men like this out of the Republican Party, or I will use my vote to burn it to the ground.

The concept of government stimulus needs to end. No more bailouts, no more too big to fail. We have too much government run economy as it is and Republicans like Lindsey Graham are married to the propagandist ideas that fuel out of control government spending.

They see the ignorant voters rushing for handouts, and then become scared of the conservative fact that we shouldn't be doing it. They abandon all notion of conservative principles in hopes of buying votes with government largess. They ignore the threat of centralized planning, of a government giving you everything shall also take everything.

I don't care if it's a losing proposition and no longer a majority vote to oppose government, we must stand our ground on liberty. This is an issue that must not be compromised, must not be negotiated, and anyone who is willing to do so belongs in the Democrat party. They most certainly do not belong to me.

Bush was bad enough at growing government, how many more men must we suffer who will do the same?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I want sequestration and I work for a defense contractor. I don't mind making sacrifices for my country.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Might as well not even have a Congress if the fools there are unable or unwilling to do the heavy lifting that comes with their highly paid positions of power.

Not only no, but hell no. A very stupid idea designed and implemented by politicians afraid to do their jobs.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I'm against sequestration; I'd rather see Congress put aside their partisan bickering and come up with their own cuts. Like Thump553 said, we pay them a hell of a lot of money and I'd like to see some work for our tax dollars.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is why when you see any more legislation that says in ten years $999 will be saved, a switch in you brain should be turned on and you should just declare lie lie lie. Cut the budget now or resign.

You going to tell the troops in afghanistan they can not have any more ammo or air support?

What would you cut?

First tell the president he will get no more paid vacations!

Last edited:

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Might as well not even have a Congress if the fools there are unable or unwilling to do the heavy lifting that comes with their highly paid positions of power.

Not only no, but hell no. A very stupid idea designed and implemented by politicians afraid to do their jobs.

I see your point and it is a good point but in this political climate I think it is the lesser of two evils because if it is of course real meaningful discourse and doing what needs to be done than of course i'll choose the latter. But if it is doing this (offering sequestration) and ultimately pulling the on it than I'll choose pulling the trigger on it any and every time.

Sequestration is probably the most pragmatic solution to getting making hard decisions in the current political atmosphere.

Remember a politicians job first and foremost is getting reelected and it is the people that vote that ultimately have control. Otherwise what you are asking for is some autocratic even tolitarian rule.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
More Government spending = More Taxes!

Tax Em, Tax Em, Tax Em!

Just wait everyone poor and free rich or slave will get a 40% tax!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think it's the only solution that has a prayer of working. Left to themselves, both parties will insist on cutting only the other parties' sacred cows.

If Congress wants to avoid sequestration, it has only to compromise.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

That's why I hate to proposition process. I lets the legislators sit on their hands and do nothing.

Makes a mockery of republican government. (notice small r)

Status
Not open for further replies.