sequestration, bipartisan support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
“Already, some in Congress are trying to undo these automatic spending cuts. My message to them is simple: No. I will veto any effort to get rid of those automatic spending cuts – domestic and defense spending. There will be no easy off ramps on this one.” -- Barack Obama, November 2011

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The sequester is the sequester.
But Boehner, once again, wants in addition for people to suffer.
Pulling the same-o blame game.
Cut social programs not attached to this sequester.
Cut programs not associate to the sequester.
In other words, pull a fast one, play more games, tack on anything and everything to any sequester agreement for advancing their own failed agenda.
Im surprised old Boehner has not insisted that a constitutional same sex marriage ban amendment be included to any sequester agreement.
And THAT is just how outrageous Boehner has become.
And why democrats can not possibly come to any terms with these right wing Boehner wacko's.
For Boehner, this sequester has nothing to do with the sequester.
So how can anyone possibly deal with someone like Boehner?
The Boehner clan would be happy to see the sequester cuts take place. Every one.
His challenge is how do I make this much worse than that?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
“Already, some in Congress are trying to undo these automatic spending cuts. My message to them is simple: No. I will veto any effort to get rid of those automatic spending cuts – domestic and defense spending. There will be no easy off ramps on this one.” -- Barack Obama, November 2011

This is really the funny part about all of this. People act as if this congress can force future congress's to honor these cuts. They can simply pass new spending to over ride them. Hell even this congress is trying to do this.

So at worst we are talking about 100 billion less in spending increases over 8 years. Instead of 1.7 trillion in spending increases, we will see 1.6 trillion. And that is of course believing congress wont pass new spending to replace the old.

Outrage and destruction of our economy not found.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Obama was for the sequester before he was against it.

Sequestration was passed because the alternative was having the teabagger wing of the House GOP force the US government into default. It's pretty safe to say that all Democrats and sane Republicans thought it was a bad idea then, and a really stupid one now. In fact its main appeal was that it was such a bad idea Congress would have to do something to prevent it from taking effect.

I still can't believe there is not a bipartisan effort to repeal sequestration. Party loyalty still trumps any concern about the country's well-being.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
What would YOU cut from the federal $3,600,000,000.00 budget? lets look at it from a perspective of a single person. Take 5 zeros off, 36,000. Sequestration would equal $720.00. No wait, it would equal $36,000 (current budget) + $8,880 (baseline increase) - $720 (supposed cut) which nets $38,160. Somehow I don't see the cut???

THIS!!!

To all the libs out there, federal spending doesn't get cut. Baseline budgeting is that dirty little secret that the majority of the sheep in this country are clueless about. The fact that Obama, who was on record as supporting the sequester, is now out there preaching the end of the world shows his true colors, a typical lying POS political hack. His admin does have authority to move budget items around so that the reduction in the increase would be painless. But no, he'll do everything in his power to make it hurt, just so he can get the political gain just so he can jump up and down, pointing his fingers at 'the stupid party'. In other words, he really doesn't care about the little guy. Any bets he'll cut back on his vacation budget?

If you really think Obama and the dems care about you, you're an idiot, plain and simple.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Amazing that the usual suspects on here just don't get it. All Obama is is a small minded community organizer; it's the only skill he brings to the game. He plays it well, mind you. But then again, he knows his audience.

This is really the funny part about all of this. People act as if this congress can force future congress's to honor these cuts. They can simply pass new spending to over ride them. Hell even this congress is trying to do this.

So at worst we are talking about 100 billion less in spending increases over 8 years. Instead of 1.7 trillion in spending increases, we will see 1.6 trillion. And that is of course believing congress wont pass new spending to replace the old.

Outrage and destruction of our economy not found.

Nov 30, 2006
Both Republicans and Democrats would have rather have negotiated a more reasoned approach to the sequester spending cuts (that's what they say anyway) but that appears to be impossible without any real leadership from Obama in this situation. To me...it's quite clear that Dems aren't going to get another tax increase on this one.

Anyway, in my opinion, Obama needs to step up and do what's in the best interest of our country to help make sure these cuts go to areas that will be less painful to our economy.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
THIS!!!

To all the libs out there, federal spending doesn't get cut. Baseline budgeting is that dirty little secret that the majority of the sheep in this country are clueless about. The fact that Obama, who was on record as supporting the sequester, is now out there preaching the end of the world shows his true colors, a typical lying POS political hack. His admin does have authority to move budget items around so that the reduction in the increase would be painless. But no, he'll do everything in his power to make it hurt, just so he can get the political gain just so he can jump up and down, pointing his fingers at 'the stupid party'. In other words, he really doesn't care about the little guy. Any bets he'll cut back on his vacation budget?

If you really think Obama and the dems care about you, you're an idiot, plain and simple.

He uses bad math to make a half argument which you then support enthusiastically with your own half-truths and silly theories.

Fine work!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-says-sequestration-cuts-will-be-indis/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...o/marco-rubio-says-sequester-was-obamas-idea/

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Both Republicans and Democrats would have rather have negotiated a more reasoned approach to the sequester spending cuts (that's what they say anyway) but that appears to be impossible without any real leadership from Obama in this situation. To me...it's quite clear that Dems aren't going to get another tax increase on this one.

Anyway, in my opinion, Obama needs to step up and do what's in the best interest of our country to help make sure these cuts go to areas that will be less painful to our economy.

What's painful about closing tax loopholes?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Doesn't he blame the entire thing on the Repubs? Out of the 3 entities involved, aren't 2/3rds of those Democrat controlled (Senate and Executive)?

Last time I checked, He was blaming Congress as a whole.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Give us a break.

65587_10151436076399614_700113147_n.png

100 billion less in spending increases over 8 years. This is the end of our economy?

This sequestration will account for far less full time job destruction than obamacare.

I ask this again and again, does anyone have a problem with the amount of play our government has in the economy?

the left bitched an moaned that private healthcare represented 16% of GDP, but have no issue with government spending being 23% of GDP. Am I the only person that gets physically sick when I see this?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Wrong. The sequester is a lessening of the build in increases. There are no REAL cuts. Obama has some discretion in how the reductions in the increase will be applied. This is only the end of the world if you're an idiot and believe Obama.

He uses bad math to make a half argument which you then support enthusiastically with your own half-truths and silly theories.

Fine work!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-obama-says-sequestration-cuts-will-be-indis/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...o/marco-rubio-says-sequester-was-obamas-idea/

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

Won't happen. The Obama admin will do everything to ensure that this is as painful as possible. It's all politics to him.

ccbadd

Jan 19, 2004
Last time I checked, He was blaming Congress as a whole.

Yes, but somehow leaves himself out! And when has he EVER pointed a finger at Reid? He sure likes to blame Congress while pointing his finger at Boehner and forgetting Reid hasn't done jack shit on anything in YEARS! Does the president not lead his party, and does Reid's failure actually point back to Oboma? I think so.

Nov 30, 2006
Yes, but somehow leaves himself out! And when has he EVER pointed a finger at Reid? He sure likes to blame Congress while pointing his finger at Boehner and forgetting Reid hasn't done jack shit on anything in YEARS! Does the president not lead his party, and does Reid's failure actually point back to Oboma? I think so.
I couldn't agree more. Obama's leadership is piss poor. I doubt that history will be very kind to him in this respect.