Sensible Nvidia GPU for Adobe CS5?

BathroomFeeling

Apr 26, 2007
I can confirm the 570 is dead quiet, even when gaming. I was scared when I switched it on the first time because I thought the fan wasn't working! My old GPUs had dinky little fans that were loud & useless. This new card is the awesum. Can't say if lower models are teh aweum too, but if your budget is that, why not? You can even game with such a rig.

abekl

Jul 2, 2011
Have you all taken leave of your senses? Why are you looking at high end video cards for Adobe CS5 use? CS5 is CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. Go for a mid-range video card.

imported_mlt

Feb 2, 2007
Have you all taken leave of your senses? Why are you looking at high end video cards for Adobe CS5 use? CS5 is CPU-bound, not GPU-bound. Go for a mid-range video card.

I also mentioned I use Premiere and the New Mercury engine uses GPU HW-acceleration.

Photoshop CS5 also uses GPU HW on certain features.

Adobe only supports full HW-acceleration on the listed cards.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
this guy has no clue what hes talking about lmao

abekl

Jul 2, 2011
I take exception to that. I know very well what I speak of. The OP said he's not doing heavy graphics work, so no need for a high end graphics card.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
"photoshop and (pretty light) premiere"

might as well.

hes going photoshop with LIGHT premiere

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
A bit O/T, but does anyone know why only these geforce cards? Is there some hardware limitation? Or, is it something else?
GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999

This guy...is actually correct! :thumbsup: I didn't believe this either when I first heard it - I'd seen a Photoshop CS5 CUDA benchmark! Then I read it more carefully:
Maddeningly, Photoshop CS5 still does not support any native CUDA-accelerated functions, leaving us in the same boat as After Effects...until we realized that some plug-ins for Photoshop actually use CUDA.

So if you're using one of those plugins, a faster card might make sense - but probably not.

On the other hand, you can hack CS5 for other cards. I think you need 1GB VRAM for it to work, but that's about it. Given that, I'd suggest a GTS-550 (or used 450) 1GB for cheap, quiet operation. Or for fanless, silent operation, there's this GT 430 - though it might not be much faster than the processor alone!

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
This guy...is actually correct! :thumbsup: I didn't believe this either when I first heard it - I'd seen a Photoshop CS5 CUDA benchmark! Then I read it more carefully:

So if you're using one of those plugins, a faster card might make sense - but probably not.

On the other hand, you can hack CS5 for other cards. I think you need 1GB VRAM for it to work, but that's about it. Given that, I'd suggest a GTS-550 (or used 450) 1GB for cheap, quiet operation. Or for fanless, silent operation, there's this GT 430 - though it might not be much faster than the processor alone!
I STAND CORRECT!

sorry person who i told was wrong.

looks like i was wrong

stupid fine print

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
I don't do CS5. I only have had a CUDA card for a week (Quadro 4000). But, no CUDA acceleration does not necessarily equal no GPU acceleration. CUDA is not required for GPU acceleration. How Adobe implemented it, I don't know or care. Avid (in about 4 products) uses GPU acceleration. 1 of them has existed with the original ATI 8500 chipset circa 2001 (the then Pinnacle Liquid Edition). And Avid Media Composer has an even tighter list of what they support with GPU accel, so feel lucky... well if it worked.

But reading the Tom's article, it sure sounds like Adobe is wanting you to buy a 'certified' card for a feature they don't deliver. Wow. Both Sony and Adobe have been hinting at GPU support for years now. But I think the expansion of formats has eaten all the resources they can throw at version updates. I probably would have done a GTX570 if it was an option instead of a Quadro. Here is to hoping I get what I paid for. :)