Sensationalized: Toss a cigarette on the ground in NYC? That's a 7 cop beat down!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I say good, although I doubt it was just for littering. Smokers are disgusting and their nasty habit litters and pollutes the environment for everyone else D:

Anywhere that smokers congregate, you'll see dozens of half smoked cigarettes and cigarette butts laying around.. And unless that area is constantly cleaned, the nicotine and tar will build up and just....ewwww! :thumbsdown:

Smokers are disgusting, filthy creatures that pollute the Earth and should be publicly mocked and humiliated.! :hmm:

It clearly wasn't just 'for littering'. 7 cops don't show up and stand their over a thrown cigarette. It's clear it was going on for some time, and we can't hear what was said. But don't worry. Just more BS from the anti-cop folks on the forum.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
yaRGct.

The woman starts putting on her gloves and you just know it's going to get ugly. She was all over him.
lol Made me want to throw a cigarette butt down around her. She a cutie.

Ah I finally watched the video. So, not sure if I saw what everyone else in here saw,

Police surround a man and appear to try and get him to comply with arrest. He does not.
One policeman tries to physically arrest him and he pushes away, resisting. Several other officers join in, bring him to the ground, and take several seconds to handcuff him.

Nobody was injured.

If you think this is Nazi Germany, you need to have your fucking head examined.
Yeah, I was totally underwhelmed as well.

Is throwing a cigarette on the ground reason for arrest? Isn't littering a ticket at worst?

Why would you need 7 cops to give a ticket?

Keep surrendering your rights. I'm sure the police appreciate it.
No, it takes ONE cop to give a ticket. If you insist on being an ass and refuse to cooperate, then a whole mess of cops will come and take you down, and frankly I'm impressed with how gentle these were in doing it.

I suspect the dude has outstanding warrants; otherwise what he did was monumentally stupid. I can see not accepting the state's crackdown on selling loose cigarettes - that's just the state looking out for its revenue stream - but what the fuck is wrong with anti-littering laws? This isn't freedom, it isn't a man trying to support his family, it's just a man too dog worthless to bother finding a trash can. My very brief time smoking (literally before I was old enough to get a driver's license) I NEVER threw down a cigarette butt. That's just common courtesy. If I couldn't find an ash tray or garbage can, I'd put it out on my shoe sole, roll away the ash, and stick it in my pocket until I passed a garbage can. 'Cause that's what decent people do, they take other people into consideration.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It clearly wasn't just 'for littering'. 7 cops don't show up and stand their over a thrown cigarette. It's clear it was going on for some time, and we can't hear what was said. But don't worry. Just more BS from the anti-cop folks on the forum.

Then "clearly" he should have been charged with something else, right? We've all seen the insane number of charges cops can, and do, throw on people. The ole "throw as much shit against the wall as you can and see what sticks" method, so did I miss were he was charged with something else?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
No, it takes ONE cop to give a ticket. If you insist on being an ass and refuse to cooperate, then a whole mess of cops will come and take you down, and frankly I'm impressed with how gentle these were in doing it.

Actually it is rather clear from the video that they in fact had way too many cops to effectively deliver a decent asswhooping. They sure tried but they were literally on top of each other, best most of them could do was punch a fellow cop in the back of the head.

This should lead to a change in policy, when officers are trying to deliver a beatdown no more than 4 officers should be involved in said beatdown so as not to be tripping over other officers when trying to effectively land a blow to the badguy on the ground.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure it was him getting belligerent the reason he got dogpiled. Most people would have likely received a citation. If you go out of your way to be an ass to the police they are going to incite the full extent of the law on you. Look I'm a felon. If anyone would have a right to think that cops were out to get them it would be me. Every time I get stopped the cops know right off the bat I'm a convicted felon. I just say yes sir no sir and they show me the same respect I show them. It's a pretty simple concept that works.
Well said, sir.

I don't get it. 7 cops just happen to be on the corner when the guy threw his cigarette or did it start with him littering and then escalated when he wouldn't cooperate? Looks like the cops were already there responding to something when the video started.
Undoubtedly. Cops don't just pick a random black guy to surround and wait for him to do something illegal.

Then "clearly" he should have been charged with something else, right? We've all seen the insane number of charges cops can, and do, throw on people. The ole "throw as much shit against the wall as you can and see what sticks" method, so did I miss were he was charged with something else?
They may have been waiting to get a warrant, or he may be a known drug dealer (or being New York, a loosie salesman), or he may have done something to warrant this behavior. Remember, we were brought in mid-standoff. Either way there's definitely more going on than an arrest for littering.

And on the wild ass chance that it WAS just littering, shut up, passively be arrested, ask for a jury trial, and sue after acquittal.