Sennheiser PC151 vs PC161 Headset

NoodleTech

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
What is the difference between the two headsets. Is the PC161 worth the price premium? My Icemat Siberia just broke in half, so I need a new headset ASAP.

Thanks!

rollacorolla

Feb 28, 2006
I have the PC151 w/ the usb soundcard. The sound quality is very good on both the headphone and the mic. You should note that it's description is misleading. Neither is circum-aural. The PC161's earpieces are a bit larger, but they are both supra-aural, and rest directly on your ears. Also, the headset is a bit heavy and wants to slide off my head if I look down, it's not a big complaint, but it does get annoying. They're comfortable, but not as much as a circum-aural headset.

NoodleTech

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
thanks for the info rollacorolla. Now I just saw a pair of HD 555's on newegg for $69 shipped after rebate, but they don't have a mic built in. Is it better to have discrete headphones and microphone?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Originally posted by: NoodleTech
thanks for the info rollacorolla. Now I just saw a pair of HD 555's on newegg for $69 shipped after rebate, but they don't have a mic built in. Is it better to have discrete headphones and microphone?

The purists will generally tell you yes. A seperate mic isnt expensive even for a good one so the extra cost for a seperate mic isnt that much considering.

NoodleTech

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
Could you recommend any high quality mics off the top of your head Skott? I want to keep it in the $10-$35 range.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: NoodleTech
Could you recommend any high quality mics off the top of your head Skott? I want to keep it in the $10-$35 range.

Zalman clip-on mic? There's a mod on Head-Fi for a mic add-on for DT 770's but that's way out of your budget. Used pairs go from $100 to $150 and new is $200.