senator ted kennedy dies

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Number1
I posted in this thread earlier on and the comment is now missing?

Post appear and disappear randomly?

??

Are you sure you didn't post in the OT thread about this very same subject? There are two threads on these forums about this right now. They really should be merged...which one was first? :p

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
How about they make that Senate seat a permanent "Kennedy" seat...no more elections...

Dec 10, 2005
RIP
rose.gif

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
You idiots asking for decency and all for Ted Kennedy are a bunch of fracking hypocrits. I garuentee you that if this had been Dick Cheney and not Ted Kennedy, you would be yelling hallelujah, the spawn of satan is dead.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RedChief
You idiots asking for decency and all for Ted Kennedy are a bunch of fracking hypocrits. I garuentee you that if this had been Dick Cheney and not Ted Kennedy, you would be yelling hallelujah, the spawn of satan is dead.

To the best of my knowledge, Novak never killed anyone, and his death thread is filled with some pretty hateful stuff.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Originally posted by: Jadow
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Love him or hate him, I think you need to respect a man who stands up.
RIP.

no

Who stands up and runs away from a sinking car, am i rite ?

Probably the same type of person who attacks a dead man from behind a computer screen.

Bullshit. No one deserves respect simply for committing the act of dying. Is it in poor taste to go out of your way to attack him at this point? Yes. Is it on par with criminally negligent homicide? GTFO.

Of course, I haven't really seen anyone "go out of their way to attack him." He's being held up on a pedestal, and simply because he just died does not make him deserving of said pedestal. That's what his detractors are responding to.

Whooooooshhhhhhhhh.

That was the sound of my comment flying over your (and other's) heads.

The man was unapologetic-ally liberal, in a time reigned by conservatism. He had no problem standing by his beliefs during a tough time. In that, I think he deserves respect. Similar to how (despite totally disagreeing) I can respect Bush and Cheney (though it takes a lot of effort for Cheney).

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You would be wrong, but I suspect you're used to that.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
RIP
rose.gif

Although he's a shining example of why there should be term limits on Congressmen.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
[ ... ]
I have no respect for the man and I truly think this "respect for the dead" idea on this forum is pathetic. If the man did not deserve my respect in life why the hell would I respect him in death?
Because it says so much about your character ... or lack thereof.

Nobody cares whether you "respect" Kennedy or not. That's not what it's about. It's about being respectful to a fellow human being, and especially to those who love him when they are in pain. It is a measure of your civility and humanity.
Are you also respectful to murderers, rapists and child molesters because they are "fellow humans"?

Beat me to it.

Bowfinger's arbitrary application of "respect in death" is, well... arbitrary. As is everyone else's, including mine.
You may both go Cheney yourselves. Your lack of character and pathetic attempts to shift attention from it is noted and not at all surprising.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
[ ... ]
I have no respect for the man and I truly think this "respect for the dead" idea on this forum is pathetic. If the man did not deserve my respect in life why the hell would I respect him in death?
Because it says so much about your character ... or lack thereof.

Nobody cares whether you "respect" Kennedy or not. That's not what it's about. It's about being respectful to a fellow human being, and especially to those who love him when they are in pain. It is a measure of your civility and humanity.
Are you also respectful to murderers, rapists and child molesters because they are "fellow humans"?

Beat me to it.

Bowfinger's arbitrary application of "respect in death" is, well... arbitrary. As is everyone else's, including mine.
You may both go Cheney yourselves. Your lack of character and pathetic attempts to shift attention from it is noted and not at all surprising.

Ahh... way to completely sidestep the point being made. Well played, sir... well played ;) .

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

To the best of my knowledge, Novak never killed anyone, and his death thread is filled with some pretty hateful stuff.

This. The sound of crickets from the liberals about their blatant hypocrisy is deafening.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Every death thread is the same. You get a bunch of kind statements, then a few people saying 'good riddance', and then a bunch of people desperately trying not to faint due to their outrage at someone who is dead being talked badly of. I wish everyone would just shut up about it. Talk all the trash you want about Ted Kennedy, I'll talk all the trash I want about Ronald Reagan's stupid, demented old ass, and Robert Novak's creepy vampire, old-man-running-over self.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

bow, there would indeed be some particular liberal posters that would jump for joy and let the world (PN, at least) know about their joy. don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Every death thread is the same. You get a bunch of kind statements, then a few people saying 'good riddance', and then a bunch of people desperately trying not to faint due to their outrage at someone who is dead being talked badly of. I wish everyone would just shut up about it. Talk all the trash you want about Ted Kennedy, I'll talk all the trash I want about Ronald Reagan's stupid, demented old ass, and Robert Novak's creepy vampire, old-man-running-over self.

thanks eskimo for proving a point.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005

I semi-agree. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of attacking the dead. There are a few graves I'd pay to piss on, but generally speaking, I'm passive in times like this. The only time I really speak up is when one twit is outraged that some other twit hasn't applied the same arbitrary standards to the worth of a man. As an extreme example, did Kennedy's "guard" in this thread mourn Timothy McVeigh? Who is officially in charge of deciding when it's "bad character" to speak ill of the dead? I'm not "happy" that TK is dead, but I sure as hell did a little dance while refreshing CNN during McVeigh's execution.

So where's the line? When the man's a terrorist? Rape? Manslaughter? Criminally negligent manslaughter? I need to know who's rules we're all supposed to abide by so our character isn't judged by the AT elite, and what, specifically, those rules are. Declaring someone morally bankrupt because they don't value a specific individual's life as much as you do is absurd. There's not a single person in this thread who wouldn't be delighted if Osama bin Laden was found dead right now. The point is, once you make one exception - an excuse for yourself, for instance - you're a hypocrite.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Can't say I've paid much attention to them over a long time period, but don't recall much in the way of trolling these type of threads until the usual suspects started to do so recently.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CPA
bow, there would indeed be some particular liberal posters that would jump for joy and let the world (PN, at least) know about their joy. don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.
Agreed. I was speaking only for myself since his remark was addressed to me and others expecting some level of decency and civility.